
So I missed my official blogoversary date - May 18. I guess I will have to give myself the silent treatment and make myself sleep on the couch this week.
When I started this blog a year ago I was desperate. I had recently shocked myself by surpassing the 300 pound mark - something I never thought would happen. I was around 315 when I started this blog.
Here I am a year later. I would not have believed you then if you told me then that over the course of the year I would have:
- 90+ people following my blog
- anyone commenting on anything I wrote
- published my face on my blog
- made real connections with real people that I hope to meet in real life someday
- gained another 30+ pounds (Yep, I gained weight while writing a weightloss blog)
So, I have struggled for a couple of days with what to write for my belated Blogoversary. I have read alot of Blogoversary posts where people exclaim over how much their lives have changed for the better and all the things they can do now that they couldn't before. I wish I could write a post like that. But, my life isn't different. In fact, physically, it's a little worse. So what lessons have I learned over this past year that will help me to be able to write a different sort of post this time next year? Two important ones actually:
- Make time for yourself. I spent this past year making my work and school the end-all be-all of my life. I am not going to lose 180 pounds spontaneously. It has to be a priority in my life. I need to set boundaries with these other things in my life that demand my time and attention so that I can take care of myself.
- Time marches on. I have to get out of the mindset of thinking I can do better "next week." Next week I'll exercise more. Next week I'll eat better. Next week I'll have more time. All those "next weeks" added up to a year (and an extra 30 pounds) before I knew it. I only have right now to improve myself and I have to take advantage of it.
Now, I leave you with my
Memorial Day post from last year. My sentiments are the same this year. My intention is to be able to write a different sort of post next year.

13 comments:
Hi Deb,
I'm prior fat girls mom. I enjoyed reading about you and how honest you are. It's so hard to loose the weight but it's so easy to gain it. When we do loose it, it can sneak back and we gain even more. It's so frustrating to watch someone you love struggle with this.
Don't give up and I love the cupcake
Kim
Happy belated blogoversary! I am blessed by your honesty! You're right about taking time for yourself. I've spent the past 18 years catering to every one but me. I finally realize that if I don't put me first some times, I may not be here to take care of any one. Be strong! You can do this!
Happy belated blogoversary - I totally agree with your comment about making time to do this. In weeks where I don't, it doesn't work as well. It has to be one of the top priorities, at least for now. I look forward to the day for all of us when it is a priority (because it will always need to be) but we don't have to focus on it so much...in that sense, maintaining will be a bit easier than losing...although still a challenge.
Hang in there...the scale is moving, and with the walking you are doing to prep for the 3-day...you are on the right path!
Hi there,
Happy Blogoversary! Hey listen - you haven't given up, and that's the most important part. You can only fail if you stop trying.
I'm looking forward to coming back and watching your progress!
Happy belated bloggerversary! And congratulations to you for your healthy realizations that are bringing you great success!
Bethany
Happy Blogoversary, Deb! Hey, at least you stuck with this for a year - the weight loss will come in time. You seem much more aware of what it's going to take, and also ready to do it. Can't wait to see what the next year brings for you!
You know when that "next week" thing really hit home for me? When I turned 39 and realized that my next birthday will be my 40th... and that more than likely half my life is over already, while in my mind I was still waiting for it to start. I realized then that THIS IS IT. And I've been slowly moving forward ever since...
happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary, Deb. I'm almost at my one year blog anniversary too. It's always a joy to read your posts.
Happy Blogoversary, Deb . . . and thanks for all the insights and inspiration you've shared over the past year.
Lol re giving yourself the silent treatment :)
I love your "lessons learned" and I think they represent a huge step towards your goals - making your health a priority and doing it in the present/each day is the best prescription I can think of for getting fit in the upcoming year. I'm looking forward to following along as the healthier you emerges!
Happy Blgoversary - an many more to come! Love the line about giving yourself the silent treatment - too funny.
Hang in there - you can do this! I especially can relate to #2 - I'm forever procrastinating - except when it comes to wasting time. I'm learning the hard way that there's no time like the present.
Happy Anniversary. Don't be discouraged by the weight gain. It's not an easy thing to accomplish. The important thing is that you are committed and sharing your journey to help others and yourself.
I'm confident this year will bring great things!
Happy Bloggiversary! I've enjoyed your journey :)
Post a Comment