5/23/09 2:00PM
Goal: 1 hour walk on treadmill
Achieved: 30 minutes
Distance: 1.2 miles
Average Pace: 2.4mph
Avg heart rate: 134
Physical: My pace ranged from 2.1 to 3.0. I actually maintained 3.0 mph for 3 minutes. I started out at a higher pace this time (2.4 as compared to 2.1 last time). That ended up being a mistake. Lactic acid in my calves forced me to have to stop at 30 minutes. I barely was able to make it to that point. I hobbled off the treadmill like an old lady and sat down to stretch my calves to try to release the lactic acid.
Emotional: Started out a little cocky, I guess, thinking this walking thing would be easy since I was able to do the full hour last time. Now I am feeling a bit discouraged. I just need to remember to walk at a pace I can maintain for an hour, even if it does seem excruciatingly slow. It is more important for my 3 Day training that I am able to get the miles in, not how fast I do them. I guess I was just looking ahead to Tuesday when my official 24-week training program begins. Week 1 is just four 3 mile walks so I have been wanting to be able to walk at a 3mph pace so I could complete those walks in an hour. That's why I should have been more consistent with my walking sooner. But, what is done is done, and I am where I am. For now my pace is less than 3 mph. I have to start where I am and trust that with consistency I will get where I want to be.
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
10 months ago


5 comments:
Hey Deb,
That is so true! You have to start where you are. With consistency you will get where you want to be. Slow and steady wins the race! :)
Great job on staying on for 30 minutes and for listening to your body when it said it was time to stop!!! :)
Cheers to you for staying in it for 30 minutes. That burning is awful. Somedays the exercise seems easy and then you go to do the same thing the next day and it seems so hard like you have never done it before. Sometimes muscles are tight, you ate something different, not enough sleep. I know I live it with you everyday but you will get faster if you keep trying. You will reach your goals. Just get back on again tomorrow and try a slower pace.
Don't be discouraged, Deb - consistency will definitely get you where you need to be! I can tell you from personal experience that if you walk every day, you will build your speed and distance faster than you'd think possible - when I started last year, it took me approximately six weeks to build up to 5 miles at a time at a pace of 3+ mph.
I also sometimes have a problem with lactic acid buildup - it does suck! For me, warming up slowly really helps avoid it.
I know all too well how it is to start go into an exercise session cocky, and it never fails to put me in my place. Great job though!
That's a great start! Sorry you had to cut your walk short - but its something, right?
Keep up the good work! :D
Post a Comment