Saturday, May 2, 2009

Who's That Girl?


It's me (with a wax Hugh Grant). Five years and 150 pounds ago.

And I remember when this picture was taken I thought I was fat.

This picture makes me sad. What did I do to myself? Why couldn't I see then that I looked good? If I get back there again, will I still feel the same way?

7 comments:

Dina said...

Awesome pic!

That's sad you thought you looked fat then. You look great in that pic!

I am thrilled with how I look now, and 5 years ago I would have been suicidal to be this weight. I think gaining weight puts it in perspective, and you can be happier at a higher weight as you get down. (or at least I can?)

Shelley said...

Yes, like Dina said, perspective really changes when you gain weight...twenty years ago I, too, would have been horrified to weigh what I weigh now - but actually I'm thrilled to be here!

And you look great in that picture!

Ria said...

You look absolutely beautiful in that picture!

I totally agree with Dina and Shelley - our perspective does change radically over time and as our weight fluctuates. I weighed around 200 lbs in my mid-20s, and I felt much fatter then than I do now at 230ish. I'm aiming for 160, but I expect to start feeling GOOD once I get under 200, and if I plateau in that range I hope I will be able to be happy with my body.

Chubby Chick said...

I have a few pictures from when I was much thinner. When I was 13, I weighed around 190 or 200 lbs. Throughout the rest of my teens... I ballooned up to 280, I believe. I honestly can't remember what I weighed as a teen... but I know that I was fat. And when I was 21, I weighed around 220 or so.

Oh... how I wish I could go back to what I weighed when I was 13! I thought I was fat then. But honestly... when I look at that pic... I was skinny everywhere but my tummy.

I wonder why I let myself gain so much weight over the years. I wonder how it happened. But I think it's best not to think about it. That's the past... and all I have is right now. Having regrets really doesn't help anything.

So... I'm just trying to be the best that I can be right now. I'm working to shed this weight and to get healthier and more fit than I've ever been.

I believe we can do this! So please know that you are not alone in how you feel or in the journey that you are taking to get back to a healthy weight. If we don't give up... we WILL get there again! :)

Hanlie said...

I've often looked at old pictures and wallowed in regret over what I've done to myself, but ultimately it's pointless. For me, dwelling on the what-could-have-should-have-beens takes me out of the moment, and I need to be in the moment to do something about what is.

Having said that, you looked fabulous! Hugh looks proud to be seen with you...

new*me said...

wow...you look tiny! I will have to dig out some smaller pics of me and scan them. Good idea!

Be happy to know that you are going to have a better self image as you progress in your journey compared to that "skinny" girl all those years ago. Love yourself :)

Anonymous said...

You're beautiful. :)