Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weigh in: 3.3 gained, 179.9 to go


The past couple of weeks I let my weight loss efforts slide. They were not the top of my priority list (or really even on the list at all) so the resulting 3.3 pound gain over the course of two weeks isn't that suprising.


Work was supposed to have slowed down these past couple of weeks but I had a colleague out sick and had to cover for them as well as get my own work done. I am on break from school for another week or so but other emergencies in my personal life took up the time that school would have taken up. I had been looking forward to an easy couple of weeks in which I could really put alot of effort towards losing weight. But unexpected things came up, I let them distract me from my weightloss efforts, and I ended up gaining.

The moral of the story for me is that I can't wait for all the stars to be perfectly aligned in order to make my weight loss a priority. There will never be a "perfect" time to lose weight. There will always be pressures and personal obligations and I can no longer let them be an excuse for not doing what I need to do to improve my health and lose weight. So I need to anticipate that these things will happen and learn to take care of myself and lose weight even when conditions are not ideal. Because let's face it, 99.9% of the time they are not ideal.

As handy as it would be to be able to put absolutely everything else on hold while working on my weight, it ain't gonna happen, people. It ain't gonna happen for me or for anyone else. And even if we could make it happen we would have learned nothing about how to balance our health with living real life.

And so I am embarking on a new and imperfect week of weightloss. The difference is I am expecting it to be imperfect. I am anticipating some curveballs even though I don't know what they might be just yet. I will not let them distract me from my goal. Next week I am going to weigh less than I do today. That's a promise!


10 comments:

Hanlie said...

What an incredible insight! Of course... You are so right and I think realizing this will make a huge difference for you (and me) on our journeys...

June said...

We have in common, you and I, the idea that we are not enough just as we are.
Not good enough, not capable enough, not smart enough, not enough anything. It is a fallacy.
We are ENOUGH just as we are. We need no protection from Life On Life's Terms. We can feel what we feel, and live through it. We need to take care of ourselves, honor and respect ourselves, forgive ourselves.
The rest falls into place.

Thanks for your oh-so-very-gratifying comment at Aging Gratefully!

Learning to be Less said...

Good for you. When I started my journey my only goal was to weigh less than when I started. I think goals like that make us feel sucessful verus goals of losing a certain number and then when we don't we feel like we failed and then want to quit. Just keep on keepin' on. It will work for you.

Tamzin said...

Yeppers, I've had those same thoughts. Its true - there is no perfect storm of time where this will be easy, the stars alighn and everything happens in a snap...

gawd, I wish it would. But, it doesn't. Good on you for making those thoughts and changes.

:D Heres to curveballs!!

Amalily said...

I have the same problem I never seem to have enough time to but my needs before the needs of others. I would love for the stars to align & everything to fall into place so I can put my needs first. I wonder if that will ever happen for me.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, getting right back in there. This is just a temporary setback! Go girl! :D
Bethany

Ria said...

Great post, Deb. Finding that balance is key, but it sure ain't easy! I'm also struggling - despite my best intentions, I had another bad week with respect to eating and exercise. I missed my regular weigh-in and post today since I was out-of-town, but I'll be facing the music tomorrow morning and it probably isn't going to be pretty.

I hope your friend is feeling better, and that things get back to normal at work. Here's to good, imperfect weeks for both of us.

Gigi said...

Life always gets in the way, doesn't it? I hope with your new attitude you can reach your goal - even with all the distractions along the way. We all know how you feel and are in the same boat - and always pulling for you.

we_be_toys said...

Oh those curveballs! Even when you're looking for them - wham! - they come out of nowhere.
But you're moving, and losing, so in my opinion, you're out ahead of the curveballs right now.
Keep up the good work!!!!!

Natalia said...

Deb! I love your attitude right now. Balance is such an important thing. But we all have to realize that there are going to be days, maybe even weeks of our pendulum swinging to one side or the other. 3.3 pounds in two weeks a bummer, BUT your attitude will allow you to work through it and they'll be off in no time!! You are kicking some butt girlie!! Happy for you!! :)