Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's New Pussycat?

whoa-whoa-whoa.....Sorry, was temporarily channeling Tom Jones.

So, I've been MIA for a few weeks due to a dead laptop. What is new with me in the meantime? Well, I have been going to water aerobics 4-5 times per week and getting in the occasional walk with my dog. I am feeling pretty good about that. Foodwise...well, as always it's a bit of a struggle.

A while back I said goodbye to Weight Watchers because it was making me feel a little nuts. I had stopped weighing weekly and decided I would just try to eat "intuitively." During this process I gained about 8 more pounds putting me at a new all time high of 333. So, crazy though I may be, I am back to doing Weight Watchers. I am not going to meetings but I have been tracking my food with their online tracker for a couple of weeks now. It's going OK. My eating is not perfect and I do go over my points some days. I just decided not to freak out about it. I am actually finding the online tracking easier to keep up with than writing it down. Plus it makes it easy to look at a high level summary of your week so you can see where you are really blowing it out...what days, what meals, etc.

So that's where I am on the diet and exercise front....I am splish-splashin' away and I am working slowly but surely toward improving my eating habits.

As for the rest of my life, it feels out of control. I try to put on a happy face and force myself to feel well. I have been doing this along time and as time goes by the facade becomes harder and harder to maintain. I am tired and irritable most of the time. I sleep way too much. About half the time I am on the verge of tears. I feel like a ticking time bomb, having emotional outbursts in places that I shouldn't (work), which is pretty unlike me. I feel unmotivated. Not just with weight-loss, but with everything. The smallest things seem like more than I can take on. For example, if the trash is full and needs to go out it takes everything I can muster to get myself to do it. The very idea of having to carry it out my backdoor, across the backyard, and out the back gate to my trash bin just seems like an insurmountable task. It's not a laziness thing. I can't explain what this feeling feels like. But I can tell you what I think it is....depression.

Now before you think this is going to turn into a pity party, it is not. I was treated for depression once before and I think it is back. I am ready to take charge of my health and to get back to feeling myself. I have an appointment next week with a doctor who hopefully can help me. Yes, I feel terrible most of the time but I am grateful that I am aware what is happening to me and that I am going to get help for it.

10 comments:

Boilergrad1993 said...

Sorry to hear you dropped out of the Christmas Challenge, but you have to do what is best for you. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the water aerobics. It's definitely something I want to start in the Spring.

WWSuzi said...

I have dealt with depression before and as long as you get help it can be dealt with!!
Way to go on going to water aerobics ;)
Very glad to have you back "hugs"

Anonymous said...

*Hugs* Deb! Do get help ASAP! I have suffered from depression and I tried to "treat" it myself. It totally didn't work and I just delayed my recovery. Good for you for getting help right away. You will start to feel better quickly once you start meds--keep reminding yourself of that. Hang in there. Keep exercising cuz that can only make you feel better. But don't sweat the small stuff. For now just focus on getting yourself well again! When you're feeling better you will have the mental fortitude to tackle the other things. Take care--we are here for you!
~Bethany

Alli said...

Hey chic glad to have you back. I am feelin you on the motivation front. I dont know what my problem ... its like I see the train wreck heading my way but I can do nothign to stop it. or dont want to lately. =(

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It great you're getting the help you need. Hopefully, you'll be back to being you soon! Have a blessed week!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for taking charge of your health issue and sticking with the water aerobics.

Natalia said...

Hey Deb, I've had those feelings before. I think you have a great attitude and you're seeking help, good for you!

Great job on the exercise!!!

Deb said...

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. Makes me really glad to be back in the supportive blogosphere.

Lynn said...

Good for you! Water aerobics 4-5 times a week!?!? That's great! I am sure that the exercise will help you with your depression as well. Try to get outside to get a little extra sunshine this time of year, that usually helps me.

I hope that the depression issue is appropriately addressed by your doctor, and that you are able to feel like yourself again. Hang in there! ~*~*HUGS*~*~

Anonymous said...

checking back in....delurking and hoping you are ok.

(on a lite note Im STILL singing Tom Jones in my head...)