Saturday, August 2, 2008

Goodbye, Weight Watchers

I have finally done what I never thought I'd do. I have said goodbye to Weight Watchers. I have been a Weight Watchers member for years. I have always felt it was the best and most liveable diet plan out there. And yet I keep paying them my $40 a month and I have done nothing but gain weight. The only thing lighter is my bank account. I am in no way blaming Weight Watchers for this. I still say if you follow their plan you should lose weight. I wasn't following it so I didn't lose weight.

So why wasn't I following it if I believed it was the best plan out there? Well, I guess it just hooks into all my compulsiveness surrounding food, my disordered eating, my perfectionism, and my shame surrounding my weight and food. I know keeping a food journal is the key the success of many losers. For me it is something to rebel against, to give up on when it's not perfect. I am tired of feeling guilty if I don't write it down, weigh it, measure it, or if I gain weight. I don't want to feel "good" or "bad" anymore. I just want a healthy lifestyle. I want to learn to eat mostly healthy foods without freaking out at the occasional treat or meal out. I don't want to worry if I am calculating the points right on foods I didn't prepare myself. I want to incorporate exercise into my daily life without thinking about the points that I am earning for it. I want to exercise because it is fun and good for me not because it will earn me more food.

This is how doing WW feels to me. And it is not working for me. Everytime I buy a fresh new food journal so I can "start over" it is just another incidence of insanity....doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So I am done with it. Starting now my focus is on choosing healthy foods, cutting back on processed, sugary foods, and continuing to find ways to incorporate exercise into my daily life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I don't think diet clubs work for everybody. This year I have finally given up on Rosemary Conley. R.Conley is a UK diet club very similar to WW but also involves 45 mins of exercise in the class -- for a long time I also thought in the UK this was the best option of all diet clubs available, but for me it often led to negative thinking and counter productive self sabotage.

On 29 July when I announced my new weight, I wrote about the new food plan I have come up for myself, which no longer follows any particular rules of any set diet:

http://goodbyetoallfat.blogspot.com/2008/07/we-have-lift-off-300-lbs-and-down-from.html

WWSuzi said...

I agree!! I think the best way to go is to be aware of what you eat and how much you exercise. Make your food healthy. And live life to the fullest ;)

Gazelle Girl said...

Deb, you and I my friend are so similar I can't believe it. As I read each of your words, if I was a better writer they could have been coming straight from me. I feel exactly the same way as you. Unfortunately I have no idea how to change my life for the better by incorporating all the things you mentioned. Maybe as you find things out you can give me tips lol.

I don't think I'll ever say goodbye to WW in as much as at least subconsciously realising if something is high in points or not, but my goals are the same as yours exactly.

Good luck with it xx

Alli said...

Yup I can totally relate here.

Natalia said...

Deb, I can really relate to this post. OMG, I've done the same things, buying the new journal to start over fresh! Exercising to eat more. OMG, all of it! I'm proud of you for walking away and saying this just isn't working. You have to find your way, the way that will work for you. It's great that you made a change, that's a hard thing to do and so many of us stick to something just because of fear of change. Good for you!!!

Karyn said...

I am convinced that all any of us need to do is find the way that works for each of us individually. ANY healthy change will work for most people...the trick is to find what works for YOU.

I'll be checking back to see how you are doing.....here's to making the healthy choices, for the right reasons!