Sunday, August 3, 2008

Monthly Weigh Ins

In an effort to rid myself of the "diet mentality" that started with my quitting Weight Watchers, I am changing my weigh-in schedule from weekly to monthly. I want to focus on the daily aspects of making healthy choices for their own sake and not focus so much on what the scale is going to say. I want to learn to trust that if I am eating well and getting some exercise, my body will naturally start giving up it's excess fat without my constant vigilance on the scale. Let's face it, weekly weigh-ins haven't helped me much thus far so why not try something new for a change?

So, next scheduled weigh in - September 1.

6 comments:

WWSuzi said...

Yes i am also trying to not focus on the scale as much as i used to! I was a weigh myself everyday and if i saw it go up, for no reason that i could see, it completely started my day off in a bad mood!
So good for you ;)

Gazelle Girl said...

Good for you Deb. I have already learned that the scale does me more harm than good. I know from my clothes and how I feel whether I have lost or gained. I only weighed the other day to find out just how much I had gained back of my 112 lbs. It was supposed to spur me onto getting back on track, but as much as I want to lose weight, I am definitely struggling. Anyway I just wanted to say well done to you for changing your WI from weekly to monthly. I am sure it will help you a lot xx

Lynn said...

Deb, I am really starting to hate the scales myself. I am strongly thinking about weighing every week, rather than every day. THEN, I hope to move it to every month!

I am glad you quit WW if it was making you obsess more. I too choose not to journal and write down everything. It just drives me crazy and I obsess WAY too much. I just like "shooting" for a round-a-bout average based on the WW point scale, but that is about it for me. I can't really afford the time, or money, to go to the meetings.

I hope you find your new freedom liberating and empowering. You CAN do this!

Natalia said...

There are so many other ways to measure your success than the scale. Good for you. I think that you are doing great!

new*me said...

i think that's great advice. I had been thinking about going to just monthly weigh ins but that little black and silver box beckons me every week! I think you have to find what works for YOU and run with it. You are in charge of your body and what goes in it and how it moves. Sept 1 will be like Christmas too!

Anonymous said...

I try to step away from the scale when I can. I get more motivation in the non-scale things. Looser fitting clothes, less of a jiggle, and things of that type let me know I'm on the right path. Go with what works for you!