Thursday, August 14, 2008

160 Things: Numbers 10 - 15

Reminding myself why I am doing this and continuing my "160 things" list:



11. Run the 5K event at the Cowtown Marathon
I don’t really aspire to be a great runner or even make running a big part of my exercise routine. But running the 5K event in the Cowtown Marathon is on my goal list nonetheless. For me being able to run a significant distance would mean I was in shape, healthy, and athletic. The Cowtown is the race I want to do in particular just because I lived in Fort Worth (Cowtown) for so long and loved it there. For all these years of being overweight I would see the Cowtown Marathon on the news every year in February and I would say to myself, “Next year I will run that 5K.” And so far “next year” has never come. And I want to change that.

12. Join the local independent film club
Watching movies doesn’t seem like something you should need to lose weight to do. Certainly being thinner makes fitting into the seats easier, but that is not the biggest reason this one is on my list. I am just too uncomfortable at this weight to get out and meet new people and try to make more friends with people who have interest in common with me. I hope as I begin to shed this fat suit I will gain the confidence to put myself out there to do the things I enjoy and make some new friends in the process.

13. Swim with dolphins
Ever since I saw the vacation pictures of a friend of mine who did this on vacation in Florida a few years ago I have desperately wanted to do it myself. I love all animals and being able to swim with these magnificent creatures would be a dream come true.

14. Wear the size 16 denim mini skirt I have in my closet
This isn’t the smallest size I hope to be wearing when I eventually get to my goal, but this particular skirt has a special meaning to me. Several years ago I had gotten my weight loss act together and got down to around 195 after starting at about 235. I was really starting to look good and feel good. I had just bought this skirt when it was still just a bit too small. It was supposed to be my incentive to give that extra push to lose a few more pounds. But I kind of fell apart with my weight loss for various reasons. From there I gained to where I am now…my all time highest weight. I think back to that skirt and how close I was to wearing it and how instead of achieving my goals I took the wrong path and ended up so far off track that now I barely recognize myself physically or mentally…well, it just plain makes me feel sad. So I want to get into that skirt to prove to myself that I am not a failure.



15. Be able to get up easily from the couch.
This is a simple one. I am tired of having to heave myself up off the couch and hearing my knees creak while I am doing it. I want to hop up off the couch without it being work and without thinking twice about it.

2 comments:

new*me said...

I still feel like I'm pg when I get up off the couch. I have the creaky knees too. I wonder if that will ever go away even when we have lost the weight? I hope so!

Michelle said...

The creaky knees go away. At least mine did. They come back every once in a while if I've been sitting for a long time but mostly gone. You have so much ahead of you, so much to gain by losing the weight. It will be a journey that you will have to enjoy all along the way because it's not about the destination. Sorry, I'm getting all poetic :) But I do feel strongly about this. You have to want it, be ready to accept that it won't go smoothly but that no matter how it goes you won't give up.