Saturday, August 30, 2008

Welcome to My Private World....

....sounds so dramatic, doesn't it? It's not. My reason for going private has nothing to do with terrible deep dark secrets I want to reveal only to a select group. It's because I am an idiot and accessed my blog at work and am now paranoid our IT department is looking at it.

My paranoia is probably a little excessive at this point. I do know that all companies do some level of monitoring of what you do on the internet at work so it was stupid of me to access it at work anyway if I wanted it to be private. But I recently learned that my company is really starting to crack down on personal internet usage and the IT manager receives notification of EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE that is accessed during the day. His department is reviewing the websites to determine if they have a business purpose. If they don't they are being added to our firewall and will be blocked from being accessed.

I am not worried I will get in trouble for this because any personal internet usage I do at work is primarily during my lunch hour. I just didn't want some dorky IT guy looking at my blog, seeing my weight loss tickers, or reading about my binges and other struggles. No, my face isn't on there but my first name is. I work for a small company so I don't think it would be too hard for them to see it was me.

So for now I am private. I want to let some time go by and then go back public again. I have really enjoyed receiving comments from new people all over the country and the world (a special hello to my Australian, Mexican, and Welsh readers!) and will miss the fun of "meeting" new people this way. On the bright side, in going private I learned I had several readers I didn't even know about because they were only reading but not commenting. I can't believe people are actually reading what I write!

Thank you all for sticking with me.

3 comments:

new*me said...

great reason for going private! I used to work at a place like that where they checked. It's hard on the nerves! I bet it is fun to see readers emerge that you never knew were there ;)

Ria said...

It makes complete sense that you'd want to keep some things private from coworkers. Thanks for inviting me to continue reading your blog. I sent you an invitation to mine earlier today - you'll be my very first reader!

Chubby Chick said...

Thanks for including me! I enjoy reading your posts... and look forward to following your progress. :)