Sunday, March 15, 2009

Is 39 Too Young To Have A Midlife Crisis?

Today's regularly scheduled weigh-in is being pre-empted by my premature (?) mid-life crisis.


Seriously...how young is too young for a mid-life crisis? Coming off a couple months of grueling work hours (which, thankfully, have calmed down) I am a mess. I have plenty of thoughts banging around in my head regarding the shedding (or not) of my fat suit, my job, depression, compulsive eating, lack of balance, and the state of my life in general.

Thoughts I have. Coherent posts about them I do not. I feel overwhelmed by everything that seems to need changing in my life. I am a smart and capable person but it's like I can't figure out what the right thing to do about anything is. So I am going to get help. You may remember several months ago I fired a shrink I had just started to see because she totally sucked. Finally I have gotten around to making an appointment with a psychologist who greatly helped a friend of mine work through a difficult period in her life. Hopefully she can help me get a few things in order too.

I've got a couple more weeks before my appointment. In the meantime I will try hard not to quit my job, take a young Latin lover, or by a red Corvette.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

& the more power to you to take the latin lover and red corvette! Have you seen Jesus Luz, Madonna's new Brazilian boy toy?

In my opinion based off my own life experience, I believe that as women we all go through some type of mini mid-life crisis around the age 36-39 depending on ones lifestyle. I am just wrapping up mine, yes it began in 2006 when I was 35. Uummmm.... yeah, thats when my life completely fell apart, my relationship of 7 years broke up, I didnt have a job, my children went to live with their dad, I was living alone for the first time ever, I had no friends.. you get the picture, trainwreck! BUT, I did recover, and though it was extremely rough, I am very grateful for the wisdom and personal growth I gained during that time. But, trust me, I was saying that 3 years ago! One thing that really helped me -- having a an open mind to anything, and if I was afraid of it, then I made sure I did it! (Things that you want to accomplish or do, kind of stuff) the w8losschick

Ria said...

{{Deb}} You're certainly not alone in the issues that you're struggling with . . . I'm 42, and I feel like I've spent much of the past several years trying to come to terms with those same issues. It is just really tough to balance health, weight, career and personal relationships . . . and IMO it's near-impossible when you are physically exhausted and emotionally drained by incredibly long hours at work. I am so glad to hear that things have calmed down for you in that area.

It's wonderful that you're going to be seeing someone who comes so highly recommended. In the meantime, enjoy the breathing room at work . . . and if you take a Latin lover, see if he has a cousin for me!

Hanlie said...

I get that completely! I'm also 39and thought I was going through a mid-life crisis a few months ago. Fortunately I kept the husband and the hatchback, but I ditched the job two years ago! And they'd have to sedate me to get me back into an office with an 8-5 job!

Good luck!

My Big Fat Super Super Obese Blog said...

Wow! How did I NOT have you on my blogroll??? I'm 38, turning 39 in April and also trying to shed most of myself. I'm also from Texas ;) What you are describing sounds like depression so it's probably good that you are seeking a therapist. When I get depressed, I don't really get boohoo down in the dumps depressed, but I get paralyzed and can't make a decision to save my life. I just want to sleep the day away.

Here's hoping you can make some headway with the new therapist. Oh! And I give you full permission to take a Latin lover...can't deprive yourself of ALL things good in the world can you?

Dina said...

I vote for the latin lover :)

And no, 39 isn't too young, it's just about perfect from what I've read. :)

Deb said...

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.

Ria, I know you are right and that becoming exhausted from crazy work hours is playing into all this. Part of me just wants to walk away from my demanding job and get a simpler one. Another part of me fears making that change. I am hoping the therapist will provide a good, impartial sounding board for me to help me figure out what it is I really want.

MBFSOB - I agree with you there is some depression going on. I am definitely ready to get some help with this. I feel like there is a weight on me (besides the physical one) and I can't shake it.

Tamzin said...

welllllllll....DOn't discount a new lover too quick!! :D

Hotch Potchery said...

I am 39 and am struggling with work stuff a bit too. My last kid is moving out soon, and I just feel like I have NO idea what I am going to do with myself.

Good luck with the therapist...

Chubby Chick said...

Awww... hang in there. We all feel like that from time to time. Take care of yourself and try to relax and do something for yourself to help to relieve the stress.

I hope you feel better soon1 :)

Anonymous said...

Deb, I'm so sorry you're going through this! You have an extremely demanding job and it seems like you don't have enough time for fun. I hope the therapist is able to help you sort things out. I have suffered from depression, too, and it always makes things seem 10 times worse than they actually are. I hope you are feeling better soon! *Hugs*
Bethany

new*me said...

You need time for YOU!!! I hope you can find the balance. Life is too short to work all the time ;)

Natalia said...

OK in all seriousness I really think you should consider the young Latin Lover....I'm just sayin! :)

Hugs to you! I think I'm still going through a mid-life crisis on and off. It ain't easy!

Anonymous said...

it is about finding you time.
and your passions.
and thats all I have to add as Im 39 as well and pretty much THERE TOO :)

MizFit

~closed~ said...

Live the vida loca and get that Latin lover! Remember, the hotter it is the more calories burned.