Thursday, November 13, 2008

"The Donald" Has Nothing On Me

Today, after only 3 sessions, I fired my psychiatrist. Here's how it went:

Session 1: She took my history and she also took 3 different phone calls during the session. She also told me I would feel better if I did deep breathing during the day which I found mildly irritating. She gave me a sample of meds to try and instructions to come back in 2 weeks.

Session 2: She was 30 minutes late for the appointment, rushed me through a quick 15 minute session where we covered all the same shit we did at the first session because she was ill-prepared for our appointment, she shoved some more samples in my hand, and out the door I went with instructions, again, to come back in 2 weeks. I was really irritated this time because I was having some side effects I wanted to talk to her about. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and one more try.

Session 3: I waited 45 minutes and was just about to leave and go back to work when she called me into her office. I went back with her. She sat down, I remained standing. I said, "My appointment was for 45 minutes ago. I have to go back to work." She just looks at me and says, "Are you angry?" I just said, "No, I am not angry but this is not going to work. I have a job and I took time away from it to come here and now I will get no benefit from it. This is not going to work for me." She tried to appease me, went through another 15 minutes of rehashing the same history because she still was completely unprepared. She gave me another 2 week sample and a prescription for a 30 day supply. I took the sample and the prescription and just told her that this would not work for me and I needed to find a different doctor.

It was ridiculout because I was getting NO actual care and NO actual treatment. Just a handful of pills shoved at me each time. I was proud of myself because I calmly stood up for myself. Emphasis on "calmly." Usually I either do one of two things: 1) keep my mouth shut and let myself be walked on, or 2) get really pissed off and make an ass out of myself. Historically, I have found it difficult to stand up for myself and the only way I knew to do it was to get angry. Maybe a little personal growth going on here.



7 comments:

Ria said...

That psychiatrist sounds just awful. It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly - good for you. I hope you find a better one quickly!

WWSuzi said...

Good for you!! Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for NOT putting up with that. That kind of behavior just drives me nuts.

SL said...

This therapist sounds AWFUL. WTG on calmly standing up for yourself and your needs! And, good luck with finding a good replacement. (I finally posted the meme you tagged me with earlier this week.) Have a good weekend.

Natalia said...

How rude! Glad that you stood up for yourself! :)

Shayness said...

Good for you! You handled that better than i would have. I'm not known for remaining calm.

we_be_toys said...

I think you did the right thing, but then I'm not a big fan of psychiatrists for that very pill-pushing reason. Have you considered seeing a psychologist instead? They don't prescribe meds, and are more likely to actually listen, or suggest visualization techniques.