This brings to mind parenting a child. I don't have a child, but I once was a child as we all were. I can remember lots of times I didn't want to do something that I needed to do. Good parents will make you do it anyway. Conversations I remember were something like these:
"I don't wanna go to school today."
"It doesn't matter if you don't want to, you have to go anyway"
"I don't want to take the medicine."
"If you want to get well you have to take it anyway."
"I don't want to brush my teeth."
"Unless you want your teeth to fall out you have to brush them anyway."
What kind of parent would say, "Oh, you don't want to go to school? OK, you can just stay home and not learn anything." A crappy one, that's what kind.
It's time I did a better job parenting my willful inner child that doesn't feel like doing the things that are good for her. After all, in the end I was quite grateful tht I was sent to school, given my medicine, and made to brush my teeth. And in the end I will be grateful that I did what I needed to do for my health even when I didn't want to. (Strangely enough, I just remembered I wrote about disciplining my inner child in a previous blog post....hmmmm, maybe I should take my own advice once in awhile.)
Some health and weightloss tasks I tend to not feel like doing are logging my food, packing healthy lunches for work, cooking healthy dinners at night, and getting up before work to exercise. So tomorrow, even if I don't feel like it, I am going to do the following things anyway:
- Log every bite of food
- Get up at 5:30 and do 20 minutes of cardio (by the way, this was a goal for today to and, yes, I did it!)
- Pack a healthy lunch to take to work.
- Take a chicken breast out of the freezer tonight so I can bake it with some veggies tomorrow night for dinner.
What things do you not feel like doing but need to do anyway???


3 comments:
Hey Deb, good for you on getting your workout in yesterday morning! For me, it's all about meal prep. I really am lazy in that area. I'm working on developing a "do it anyway" mentality. But it isn't easy!
What a great post - it really has got me thinking. I have indulged my inner child too much, not only by letting her avoid healthy eating and exercise but in other areas as well. I am going to try harder to respond to those "I don't wannas" with "It doesn't matter, you have to anyway".
A "don't wanna" that I really need to work on is taking the time to plan & cook healthy meals. When I find myself without a plan at dinnertime, it sometimes seems too late to start cooking. The result is that I either make dinner out of calorie-dense snack-type food, make something quick and easy but not necessarily diet-friendly, or order in. I'm committing to deciding on meal plans a day in advance and doing the necessary shopping and prepping for dinner earlier in the day . . . even if I don't wanna.
Congratulations on getting up early and getting that cardio in today!
sometimes jumping in and getting down to the basics is what you just gotta do!
Post a Comment