Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weigh in: 1.6 gained, 169.6 to go

Another gain this week. No mystery as to why. I am eating way too much. I continue to use food to soothe negative emotions (this week mostly anger and frustration) and it is hurting my health.

When I see that I have nearly 170 pounds to lose I feel both overwhelmed at the work ahead of me and frustrated and disappointed with myself for letting things get so completely out of hand. 170 pounds. My God. What have I done to myself?

I am letting them emotional side of me take control of this weightloss business. I started blogging my journey back in April and have gotten nowhere but even heavier. I have made progress in other areas though - I am exercising more consistently, I am receiving support and information from other weightloss bloggers, and I am becoming more self-aware. And that is great, but it's time for some tangible results on my body!!!

In addition to my emotional side I also have a very strong rational and goal-oriented side. I need to draw on those skills to make the weightloss happen.

Obviously the first thing I need to do is stop focusing on the 170 pounds and start focusing on smaller goals. I also need to set some reasonable timelines for achieving the smaller goals. I do have my Magic Numbers but I have to admit I haven't been thinking about them much so I need to bring them to the forefront again.

My first Magic Number is to get to 308 which would be 25 pounds down (well, now it will actually be 26.6 down but I won't split hairs). Even 25 pounds feels like too big of a number for me to focus on. So here are my shorter goals and the timeframes that will get me to my first Magic Number of 308:

Christmas Goal (5 weeks) - 8 pounds During this time period I have my NYC vacation and Thanksgiving. My plan for NYC is to walk as much as possible to offset any off-plan eating that happens. I am not too worried about Thanksgiving because it is going to be low-key for me this year, just me and my dad. I plan to make my Crustless Pumpkin Pie recipe for dessert. Other Thanksgiving food I don't really have a problem with.


Valentine's Day Goal (8 weeks) - 12 pounds The challenges I will face during this time period will come from work stress as we work on our year end SEC filings. I also plan to be taking 2 classes towards my MBA during the spring semester. I had dropped back to just one this semester but plan to ramp back up again so I can get finished sooner.

St. Patrick's Day Goal (4 weeks) - 5 pounds Challenges related to year end work and school will continue during this time frame.


So this is my roadmap for the next few months to get the first 25 pounds off. The biggest struggle will be to find a new way to deal with negative emotions. And maybe even to address my current life circumstances that are causing me to have so many negative emotions to begin with.

4 comments:

LastJourneyDown said...

Deb-
Just found your blog and can empathize, because when I began my "last journey down" the pounds 11 years ago, I had committed to a diet group. Should have been voted least likely to succeed. It was a doctor-supervised 'shake fast,' so we had to see a doctor every 2-3 weeks. On the 3rd week, my doc pretty much insulted me and I almost quit. I drove home in desperate tears, but guess what? I never cheated again and got those pounds off. My book's about to come out about all this plus the 11 ensuing years of maintenance and the struggles all along. I really get your frustration, but it sounds like you have a plan. Just keep going, no matter what! It will pay off!

Ria said...

I'm sorry you had another rough week, Deb. I completely understand your frustration when you look at the total you need to lose . . . I have felt exactly the same way. Breaking it up into shorter term goals is a great way to deal with it.

Kudos to you for focusing on the NSV's you've had since April - those three things are all so important. The first part of any journey is gathering the necessary tools for the long road ahead - be proud of yourself for having done that part, and be confident that you're well on your way!

Your short-term goals seem very well-planned - yay for that rational side. Walking is a great way to experience NYC, and you're sure to do a lot of it just getting around. I'm rooting for good fall weather for you!

Anonymous said...

baby steps. the christmas goal. YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS.

move ahead. look forward. I know the weigh in was disappointing (or always was for me even if I kinda saw it coming) BUT that's all done and behind you.

Miz.

Anonymous said...

Deb, I hear you I have been having the same overwhelming issues. I find that I have to focus on each day because if I look to far ahead I just feel like throwing in the towel. I think that your goals are very doable! Good for you for setting some smaller goals!

On another note I have a new blog location and I'm doing a giveaway! It's a bracelet my sister designed. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment! :)