Down 0.4 pounds today. It's been two weeks since my last weigh-in so that is sort of a measly amount of weight to lose in two weeks. But when you consider that during that two weeks I traveled to a city with everything in the world you could want to eat and that Thanksgiving was a mere three days ago, I will consider my 0.4 loss a victory.
There are a lot of things I could have done differently on Thanksgiving. Like not eating to the point of physical pain would be the first and most obvious thing. I go into Thanksgiving with the best of intentions: buying just a turkey breast, making my Crustless Pumpkin Pie, skipping the things I don't really care about like dinner rolls and sweet potatoes. But still I find myself gorging myself on the things I do care about like mashed potatoes and gravy. I never make mashed potatoes and gravy so I feel like I have to eat as much as I can because who knows when I can have them again? This I read this post by Becky at Diet Coke and Zingers and got a whole new idea about how to handle Thanksgiving and the special foods that can suck us in. Next year I will do what she did and fix myself another plate but keep it for the following day. Hopefully that will assuage the feeling that I have to eat all I can that day because I won't get to have it again for another year.
That said, what is so special about mashed potatoes anyway? I could easily fix them in a healthy way using skim milk and lite butter anytime I wanted to. I think I need to change my thinking about mashed potatoes. They aren't so special.
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
10 months ago


6 comments:
Congratulations on the loss! Losing ANYTHING over Thanksgiving and/or when you've been on vacation is a victory - it is so easy to actually gain at those times.
My Thanksgiving downfall is stuffing . . . I just love it, and I really only eat it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I made a somewhat healthier version and sent most of the leftovers home with my father, but I still ate more of it than I should have.
I like the idea of making a much healthier version of a favorite holiday food at other times during the year - I was afraid to make HG's "Save the Day Stuffing" for the actual holiday, but maybe I'll give it a try sometime in the next couple of weeks . . . that should "demystify" stuffing and I'll know whether the super-light version will be OK for Christmas.
http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1597
I think you've done a great job with your loss. I had family here and cooked a lot of stuff I didn't eat, but also that I DID eat. Years ago, someone in a weight loss class said she got through holidays like this with "planned cheats." That way, she stayed within her caloric levels, but ate very small amounts of the things she wanted to indulge in by figuring out the kcals. Thus, she stayed within her limits throughout the day. Good call for her, but tough for some of the rest of us! And great job on losing during these tough holiday times!
Hey Deb! I think you're right about changing your thinking about mashed potatoes. You can make them somewhat healthy and if you had them more often you wouldn't want to eat as much as you can on Thanksgiving!
I need to change my thinking on ice cream!
Congrats on the loss!!!!
great job! To make it through the holidays without a gain is an accomplishment!
Thanksgiving is a toughie! I struggled as well, although my particular challenge was leftovers. GAH! Oh well, it's a new week and we will be successful :).
Hi! Thanks for popping by my blog. I've added you to my blogroll as well. The more support I can get, the better. I know it may seem that you have a lot of weight to lose...and it can be a bit too much to imagine at times. The best piece of advice I can give - be patient with yourself. Take it slow but seriously and you will get there. We're in no rush...every 0.1lb loss is a victory. :)
Post a Comment