Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 2: Interested or Committed?

Today I ask myself if I am interested in weightloss or if I am committed to weightloss. Right now, I guess I'd have to say I am only interested. According to today's reading, being just interested means that interest can slip away quickly as soon as something more interesting comes along....like a box of donuts! You fall into "if only" thinking. In my case, if only I didn't have such a stressful job, if only I weren't in school, if only I had a weight loss buddy to push me, if only I had someone to cook all my meals, if only I had a personal trainer. Blah! It's all a bunch of excuses. And you know what they say about excuses don't you? That's right, everyone has one!

On the other hand, being committed means sticking to your plan no matter what. The assignment for today is to describe how I will stick to my plan no matter what and to do at least one thing today (well, tomorrow, since it's 10PM now) to demonstrate I am truly committed.

  • I will exercise 5 times per week. Even when I am busy at work or working late I can take at least 10 minutes to go for a walk. In fact, that would make me feel better on those stressful days. So I commit to 5 days of exercise per week NO MATTER WHAT.
  • I will drink at least 2 BIG glasses of water while at work instead of so many Diet Cokes. We have filtered water and an ice machine that makes that really good crunchy ice like they have at Sonic so it's actually fun to drink water at work. I will drink it NO MATTER WHAT.
  • I will stop and think why I want to eat before I actually do NO MATTER WHAT.
  • If I do choose fast food for lunch I will order it with a side salad instead of fries NO MATTER WHAT.
  • I will keep fruits, veggies, and yogurts stocked in my house at all times NO MATTER WHAT.
  • My health will always be my top priority. This means getting the sleep that I need, making time for exercise, grocery shopping, and meal preparation. My health is my priority NO MATTER WHAT.

Tomorrow, the one thing I will do to prove that I am truly committed is to get up earlier and do 20 minutes of exercise before I go to work.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos on the re-commitment! I know you will have success! Wishing you a Great week!

Anonymous said...

uh, here I am.

off to do MY before work workout...you up? with me? virtually?

Natalia said...

I loved this exercise Deb! I'm still plunking away at the book! I am committed today NO MATTER WHAT! I find that I have to make this commitment daily! You are doing great. How was your walk this morning?

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm cheering you on!
~Bethany

WWSuzi said...

Now those are great plans to help you with your journey to health!! Do-able one's :) I love the NO MATTER WHAT!!

Ria said...

Those are great "no matter whats" . . . you sound committed to me!

I'm with you on committing to stop and think before eating and to exercise 5 days per week . . . I'm also going to commit to journaling every day, even if I'm eating out and have to estimate.

Deb said...

Ria, whenever I have to estimate it messing with my head. The perfectionist in me thinks if I can't know for sure EXACTLY how many calories/points something has then I have blown it. It's something I consciously have to work on.