Thursday, July 24, 2008

Water Aerobics: It's Not for Wimps


Yeah, so what if water aerobics classes are primarily attended by the overweight, the elderly, and the pregnant? That doesn't mean it is easy! I have the sore muscles to prove it. I think our instructor lulled us into complacency the first couple of classes before deciding to put the smack down (or would that be splash down?) on us this week.


I remember my first day I enjoyed the class but worried I wasn't getting my heart rate up enough. Not a concern anymore and that is good! Plus the instructor is adding alot of resistance training by having us do crunches in the water and working with these styrofoam dumbells. Apparently I have not used my trapezius muscles in a very long time...or maybe ever....because they were seriously protesting today! I woke up so stiff and sore. I took some Advil and even went for a quick chair massage over my lunch hour today. It helped some as did going to class again tonight. I still have some tenderness and stiffness though.


It's all good though. I am really happy with my new exercise regime and that is something I have not felt happy about in a long time. Now, just gotta work on getting my food cleaned up a bit more.

2 comments:

Natalia said...

I think splash down would be the correct term! :) Water aerobics has a LOT of resistance, I was surprised at how much my muscle's worked during the class. Glad to hear you're getting your heart rate up. I'm still having trouble with that one in my class.

Lynn said...

I've GOT to find a class near me, it sounds awesome!