Day 4 started out with another hike. This one was the Camelback hike where you hike up to a spot that looks like a camel's back. You know...two humps. This hiker did not make it to the two humps. I was trailing behind with another lady and the tail guide once again. This hike wasn't quite as scary as the first one but I wasn't loving it. I'm more of a "take a walk" girl, not a "scale a mountain" girl. It's not that I mind the hard work, it's mostly I just don't trust myself out there. I feel really clumsy since gaining all this weight and on these hikes I am terrified I am going to fall and break my ankle or leg or fall off a cliff and die. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic (who me?), but in the moment it doens't feel like it.
The hike started with us going down a fairly steep stretch that was covered with lava rock. I ain't gonna lie, I nearly started crying from the very beginning when I saw how treacherous the descent was. The guide assured me that the whole hike wasn't like that. And it wasn't. The rest was mostly sandstone and pretty much doable with only a small amount of terror involved. Coming down was actually the scariest part. I really hate coming down. It scares me. Like when we got back to the lava rock part to get back to the van, it was hard freaking work getting back up that incline but going up it wasn't nearly so scary as going down it.
The lady I hiked with was nice and she was telling us her backstory about something tragic that had happened to her. She had overcome a lot to even be there on that hike. Next time I think I've had it hard, I need to try to remember her story and quit bellyaching.
Only got a couple of pictures from this hike cuz I was too busy trying not to die.
Once we were back at the resort, it was the usual lectures and lunch. This one was done by the "life coach". I know, sounds corny. I thought so. WTF is a life coach anyway? But I liked this girl. She was very no-nonsense and funny. Two things I really like in a person. So while I probably won't be hiring my own "life coach" any time soon, I did think this chick has some good things to say.
After all that, I had a pool class. This one was taught by Sione who was on Biggest Loser a couple of years ago. He was alot better than the person we had for pool the day before because he actually made us work. And he is funny. And good-looking. Ridiculously so, in my opinion. This is him. Tell me I am wrong. YOu can't, can you?
After pool was kickboxing. The instructor was this tall chick named Sharon and I like her too. She's like a badass Barbie. Super tall, like my height, athletic build, kind of a tough chick thing going on during class but you can tell she's not really mean or anything. I've done kickboxing once or twice a long time ago and I've never really liked it. But I liked this one because we actually had something to punch and kick in this class. The only other ones I took we punched air. Not nearly so satisfying as actually punching something.
Last class of the day was called "Mountain" and I had pretty much had my fill of mountains for the day so I was apprehensive of this one. Sione taught this one again. I really like him as a trainer. Not just cuz he's a handsome devil, although that doesn't hurt. It was another class where you pick the cardio equipment you want to work on and then start at a moderate level, increasing speed or incline every three minutes 10 times. I did not plan ahead very well or I would have started lower. But Sione is motivating and every time I wanted to quit or not bump my treadmill up another notch, I just envisioned what it was like for him when he was on Biggest Loser with Bob and Jillian screaming in his face. He kept telling us our bodies can do more than we think it can and that it's our minds that limit us. I was really proud of getting through that class without cheating even after all the other exercise I had done all day.
The last thing I did for the day after dinner was get a much needed massage. My legs are so worn out from everything we are doing. My calves are stiff, I have shin splints, my hamstrings are tight, and my lower back is starting to hurt. My upper body seems fine so far.
Tomorrow I am happy that I get to do the famed "Stop Sign" hike because it is on pavement. No rock climbing. But it's no wimpy hike either. It's 4.3 miles during which you climb in elevation 1,000 feet. We have 2 hours to get the hike done and my goal is to make it to the top come hell or high water.
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
9 months ago


6 comments:
Wow.... What an awesome day is sounds like 2 me. Thank you for sharing. I think just working out and Sione at the same time was be too much fun 4 me. LOL.
LOOOVING these posts.
Living vicariously.
Think of all those calories you're burning and all the fat that's melting away!!!!!!!
wow! what an awesome time you are having. You are learning a lot about yourself!!! xo!
It sounds amazing. Please keep the updates coming!
I'm loving these posts! Just wanted to say- DON'T feel bad about the downhill thing. I also HATE going downhill- I have all sorts of irrational fear over it- and I'm in quite good physical shape. So . . . hugs, and I empathize! Good luck!
-Rosemary
Post a Comment