Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 3

I'm a day late getting this post out. I was too tired to even think about it yesterday. I'll probably stay a day behind because I'm too tired to finish my Day 4 post tonight.


I would say the best way to sum up my hike from Tuesday would be "sweet mother of all that is holy". I was in totally over my head. They climbed a freaking mountain. Seriously. A mountain. They segregate hiking groups according to ability and clearly they missed the boat with this one. I could not keep up with the group I was in and ended up doing most of it with the tail guide, who was very nice and if it weren't for him I'd still be sitting on that mountain.


People, I was so scared I almost started crying more than once. There was one point we were going nearly straight up. At that point the guide had me grab his wrist and I grabbed mine and he basically pulled me along behind him. Once we got past that he took a shortcut and we started heading back down the mountain. When we got done he said,"I think I'll bump you down one level for tomorrow's hike." Ya think?


While I at no time in the near future want to do a hike like that again, I will say that I did more than I ever thought I could do, which I guess is pretty much the point of this place. Still, I think I can learn this lesson without risking life and limb, thank you very much.


Driving back from the hike to resort I was still fighting back tears and all I wanted to do was get here and get to my room so I could bawl and get it out of my system and move on with the rest of the day.


I did feel better when one of the guys on my team (who has been here for 6 weeks) told me the first time he did that same hike he had to turn around the same place I did. So I felt less like a weenie after that. But I was still kinda pissed they put me in that situation to start with.


Thankfully once we were back the next 3 hours were lectures and lunch. The dietician chick here does really good lectures. I kinda didn't want to go to the nutrition stuff because I've been on about eleventy-billion diets in my life and feel pretty educated about nutrition already. But she did have alot of good information so I was glad I went.


After the lectures and lunch, I had 3 differenct classes. One was Cardio Intervals, where we got on a piece of cardio equipment (I did treadmill) and then spend 45 minutes starting out at a level and then upping that level every 2 minutes. I think we did that 8 times. Then we decreased our level every 2 minutes to get back to our starting level. We went through those intervals twice, maybe 3 times, I can't remember.

After that was a Total Toning class, which was strength training with free weights. Because we'd just climbed a freaking mountain that morning, I naively assuming the class would focus exclusively on upper body. Nope. We did lower body too. I had to do squats and lunges!!!!! I thought my legs were going to fall off.

The last class of the day was a pool class in the deep end which wasn't very challenging. But I was glad to be in the water and give my legs a break. Since pool class was last, some of us went straight to the hottub afterwards and soaked our worn out bodies until dinner time.

I brought makeup and a curling iron here. How stupid. There is no time for primping here. We just all go to dinner sweaty or in a robe straight from the hottub. I even saw one lady in her PJ's. I could have saved that space in my bag for a mega-tube of BenGay!

Since Tuesday night is the night Biggest Loser is on, they had a watching party in the lounge which I had intended to go to. But I just didn't feel like sitting upright for 2 hours so I came back to my room, showered, and watched it from my oh-so-comfy bed. I still don't know who got kicked off last night because I fell asleep before it was over. I was tuckered!


Here's a few pictures from the hike. These were all before the true terror began which is why I am still smiling at this point.




6 comments:

Fatoutofskinny said...

What an accomplishment....maybe they saw something in you that you didn't see!
Good luck for today... Look forward to hearing about it.

Cindy said...

I agree that was a wonderful accomplishment. You are doing amazing and should be very proud of yourself! Loving to hear about your time there.

Shanita said...

Good job! You gave it your best and you finished. Stay encouraged!!! I'll be looking forward to Day 4

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can so relate to everything you are saying and feeling, been there and done that. Watching biggest loser, omg, having to actually sit and watch at that time was impossible for me too. I wanted to be in BED!!! Good for you, you go girl and hang in there, believe it or not it does get easier, the first time I did stop sign I cried all the way up the mountain! I know the hike you were on and can feel your pain!! Hang in there!

Twinkle in my eye said...

I, too, can relate to your hike. Just reading it brought back so many of the feelings I had while at the Ridge. I'm glad I found your blog and plan to keep reading. Thank you for sharing with us!

we_be_toys said...

'Sweet Mother of All That is Holy!' That was my favorite part, because I would probably say the exact same thing! But hey, Day Four and you were back at it kicking butt girl! I'm so proud of you!! Can't wait to hear more!