I am badass. I worked out 6 hours today and lived to tell about it.
Started the day at 6 AM with a “yogalates” class, which was really more of a stretch class. Tomorrow Sione teaches that class and they said he does more of a true yoga class and I’m assuming it will be more challenging than today’s.
After stretching, we had breakfast which was like an egg McMuffin kind of thing with eggs and turkey sausage and some fruit. Pretty good.
The big thing for the day, for me at least because I was worried about it, was the first hike. The first hike is an assessment hike where they figure out if you need to be with the beginners, intermediate, or advanced hikers. I did not think the hike today was super hard. The most challenging part was that it was 2.5 hours long and this fat girl has not exercised for that long at one time in I don’t know when.
We basically walked on a trail for the majority of the hike. There was a lot of incline and decline so it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park, but for the most part the surface itself was flat, meaning not very rocky, or rugged. There was only about 20 minutes where we were walking on anything that was even slightly rugged. That was a lot more challenging primarily because I am an enormous clutz. But for the entire hike I was able to keep up with the lead guide, which, as it turns out, I may end up regretting because I think I’m going to get a hard hike tomorrow. I should have sandbagged more today. I can handle the cardio part of a hard hike, I think. I’m just worried about having to do more rugged terrain because I don’t want to hurt my clumsy ass. We’ll just have to see how it goes.
So we finished the hike and they had cold towels for us waiting in the van. Nice touch! We head back to the resort and the next three hours were spent in nutrition lectures and lunch (which was a turkey sandwich and salad). I was glad to get to rest a little before starting an afternoon full of exercise classes, but was also concerned that once I stopped moving I wouldn’t be able to start again.
But I start moving again I did. I had a core training class which I did pretty good at thanks to my trainer Orlando! I’ll have to tell him I think he’s a meaner core trainer than they were here. It was actually kind of easy compared to what he makes me do. One of the girls I have buddied up with commented I did really well and that seeing what I could do motivated her to try harder. Who woulda thunk it? My fat butt motivating someone. Wow.
After that I had a class in the pool which was an enormous relief. Not that it wasn’t work, but it felt good to be in the water.
Last workout of the day was a circuit training class where we did 2 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical alternating with 2 minutes of strength training on machines. I was really scared to do this one at the end of the day after doing everything else. But I did way better than I thought I would and the time passed pretty quickly. I even lifted heavier than I have been doing at home for some stuff. And lifted as heavy in some instances as the guy I was following on the machines. I like being strong. Makes me feel like a badass mofo.
So I made it through one day of a ridiculous working out in much better shape than I anticipated. No blisters or anything (knock on wood). Went back to my room for a quick shower and then we went to dinner which was chicken and polenta with chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. They were crazy good!
We had one last lecture after dinner about nutrition again. It wasn’t bad but I was ready to get back to my room and relax. I ended up going to the hot tub for a few minutes with a couple gals. I am hoping that combined with the” Vitamin I” (ibuprofen) that I popped will keep me from being miserable tomorrow.
Wish me luck on the hike tomorrow. I am truly concerned. I guess I shouldn’t be. They have awesome guides and there is always lead guide, a middle guide, and a sweeper who hangs back with the ones trailing behind. That might be me tomorrow.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
you ARE a badass....
You are a Badass mofo! Don't ever regret pushing hard and staying up front. You are there to learn how to push yourslef even harder! Take advantage of it! Also, you shouldn't be shocked you are motivating people! I think it is easy to say that anyone else reading your blog is motivated at what to you are doing! And not just at the ridge, with your weighloss plan period! Rock On!!!
I'm definitely motivated and rooting for you!!! I enjoyed the detail of your day too. I think its good that they break things up for you and don't have you constantly in a gym for 6 straight hours a day (the way it appears on the show sometime).
You ARE a badass mofo!!! LOL! :) Sounds like a great time. Can't wait to hear how Tuesday went!!!
Post a Comment