Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Someone Noticed

Today at work, one of my employees asked "So what's the number?"  I was like "Huh?"  She said, "I can tell you've lost weight.  How much?"

That's the first comment I've gotten.  I just kind of blew it off because I kind of hate it when people comment on my weight, even if it's weight loss.  It makes me feel like people are watching me and waiting for me to fail.  (Yes, I'm a little psycho, why do you ask?)

I just told her I don't pay attention to numbers (bald-faced lie) and that I was just walking on my treadmill (true) and eating less (true).  I just chose not to mention WHY I am eating less.  It's no one's business but mine anyway.

6 comments:

Christel said...

I'm very uncomfortable with comments too. It always feels extremely awkward. I never know how to respond. I usually wind up denying having lost any weight and justify that by thinking "well I haven't lost any more since I saw you a few days ago."

Christine said...

True...but you do have a weight loss blog! Which I for one appreciate!

Natalia said...

I get it! And you're right, sometimes it does feel like we're under someone else's microscope! I'm not sure why, in our society, it's considered a perfectly acceptable question. Why can't people just say "you look great"!!!? :)

Linda Pressman said...

At my work they had gotten so used to me gaining and losing that, when I lost all my weight, no one would "waste" a compliment on me for a very long time, something I now consider pretty mean-spirited! At the time I didn't care because I didn't want the attention or to get all freaked out about it.

SO FAT 4 NOW said...

Still nice to be noticed.. Good work...

Anonymous said...

Own your Successes!
http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/obesity-associated-depression-and-vice-versa-1712.html
Staying educated about our recovery and applying what we know in regards to the physiological and psychological reasons we are where we are with food are essential to acceptance and continuing headway.
As the words of encouragement come in embrace them! You are the reason people take notice and now that there is a positive self image related reaction embrace it.