
A few days ago I went wedding dress shopping with a friend (her wedding, not mine). My friend is slim and gorgeous. She tried at least a dozen dresses and each and every one looked beautiful on her. It was striking to me how different her shopping experience was from my own experiences. She was having so much fun trying on these dresses. Each one she would exclaim was beautiful and how would she ever choose one. THIS was her biggest problem: too many to choose from.
Then there is me, severely overweight. The best I can hope in a shopping experience is to find something that will fit, that will button, that will zip, that will cover my body. I do not choose clothes because I love them, because I think they are beautiful, because they are fashionable, or because they are particularly flattering on me. I choose whatever I can find that fits. That is all.
I wondered, as I sat there cringeing in the room of 360 degree mirrors, how many different types of shopping experiences had our sales girl at David's Bridal witnessed in her career? I am sure they have run gamut, from the thin, beautiful girl whose biggest problem is choosing among all the lovely gowns to the less-than-thin girl who is crushed when the dresses don't fit or the one that she loves is unflattering on her. My heart breaks for that girl. I am that girl.
I wonder if my friend even realizes how lucky she is, how different her experiences are, because she is thin. I doubt it. How could she?


3 comments:
Deb,
I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I wanted to let you know that I have linked your blog on my site. I too am embarking on a weight loss journey. Just thought we could be another source of support and inspiration for one another. Thanks!
http://blubberyblogger.blogspot.com/
I totally hear you on this one! I hate clothes shopping because I can't just walk into any shop I want and pick out clothes that I really want. I buy clothes based on will they fit and hope they don't look totally horrible on me. It sucks.
I don't think our slim friends do realise. They are only vaguely aware that we have less shops than they do to choose from, let alone fewer items and less choice when we get there!
I have added you to my blogroll so will be looking out for more posts from you.
Best wishes,
Sharon
Post a Comment