I want to start incorporating consistent exercise into my life but at this point feel a little uncomfortable at the gym. I don’t mind going there to walk on the treadmill but that gets boring. I’d like mix it up by participating in some of the classes they offer but don’t feel ready physically…or mentally! That is why I have decided to start trying some different workout DVD’s at home.
This past week I have been working with the “Yoga: Just My Size with Megan Garcia”. Megan Garcia is a plus-sized model and has made this DVD for those of us who are bigger and aren’t able (yet!) to twist ourselves into all sorts of advanced poses. I like to watch new exercise DVD’s first before I actually do them. (I like to know what I am getting myself into!) When I first watched this DVD I thought it looked too slow and simple to be much of a workout. But then I tried it. The poses are basic but very effective. The instructor gave easy-to-follow instructions and was pleasant to listen to. When I really followed her guidance on breathing and body movement I was amazed at the workout I got with such simple movements. My heart rate was slightly elevated and I felt like I was getting some good strength work in as well.
The 30 minute workout started with a warm up of seated breathing and twisting exercises, followed by a workout including various warrior poses, goddess pose, child’s pose, downward facing dog, and others. (My favorite pose was Warrior 2. When in this pose I felt strong and ready to take on the world. Looking out over my extended arm in the pose, I felt like I was challenging my fat. “Fat, I am a warrior and I am coming to kick your ass!!!”) She ends the routine with some stretching and relaxation. By the end of the 30 minutes I felt refreshed, relaxed, and downright healthy in mind and body. There were also some “Special Tips” in the DVD extras that give good ideas on how to modify some of the poses if they are too difficult.
I enjoyed this DVD and felt like I got a good work out. I will definitely keep this one in my repertoire!
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
10 months ago


2 comments:
Im in austin and wrote about a plus sized yoga dvd on friday and the woman leads classes here near me----are you in the ATX?
I need to go back and look in your blog as I dont think you are...
M.
I am in TX, but in the DFW area.
Post a Comment