Sunday, June 29, 2008

DVD review - Crunch: Cardio Salsa



  • In my quest to increase my exercise and to add lots of variety to keep from getting bored, I have been renting exercise DVD’s from Netflix. Since I am not buying them, I am feeling pretty free to try all sorts of things I might not have tried if I were buying them. For the past couple of weeks I have been giving “Crunch: Cardio Salsa” a whirl. This DVD features 3 routines within the 30 minute workout, one salsa, one meringue, and one samba. The pros and cons to this workout, from my perspective as a very overweight person are:

    PROS:
  • The instructor broke down the workout into several sections and taught them bit by bit, eventually putting them all together in one routine.
  • Got my heart rate up.
  • Relatively low-impact.
  • The women on the video were not scary-skinny or uber-buff. They were just regular-looking fit gals and some even had a small bit of belly jiggle. It’s nice to workout with normal people.

    CONS:
  • As a 300+ pound woman, I found it difficult to keep up with the steps. Moving a 300 pound body that quickly is very difficult to do.
  • The quick movements caused lots of calf burn. I think if my calves hadn’t been burning so much I could have worked at a higher intensity.
  • Music was manic and distracting. It’s likely that salsa workouts just aren’t for me because I am not crazy about the music.


    In the final analysis, this one is not for me right now. I may be tempted to try it again after I lose 50 pounds or so. I do think that if you aren’t quite so heavy and like a latin beat, this would be a fun workout for you. So I guess I would recommend this to others but it's not for me.

4 comments:

Alli said...

There has only been one work out video I could stomach over and over and thats the Pilates Crunch.. its 10 min per body part. Check it out its a great stretching exercise.

Anonymous said...

Being a Big Gal myself and a former couch potato (aka Big Spud!), I am not keen on a lot of the exercise DVD's. I used to like to Dance, so I tried to find one I could do. I found Shaun T's Rockin Body DVD. The moves are easy, he breaks it down & you are encouraged to do it at your pace. I started it this past week & to my surprize, am still doing it every day! I have only done the 10 min workout so far. Next week I'll move up to a longer one. I've got more details on my site. Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I was thinking the same about Texas! I've seen so many shows about the BBQ there & I adore good BBQ (ummm, in moderation of course, hee, hee!)! I'll give you pointers on NYC & you give me some on Texas!

Scale Junkie said...

I didn't know you could rent workout DVD's from netflix what a great way to try before you buy.

I completely understand being 300+ pounds and just not being able to do those moves. I think thats why I like the Walk Away The Pounds DVD's because I feel like I can easily keep up.