Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Life Out of Balance

Hi, it's been a week or so. I have been unable to blog due to my life being completely out of whack. You see, I work full time at a pretty demanding job and I am in graduate school part time. I am taking 2 classes this summer and they are kicking my ass. They both have group projects, and as is true of most things that are done by groups, 1 or 2 people actually do it and everyone else skates along and gets the same credit for it. But that is a whole other rant I won't get into today.



Today's rant is how I have let my life get out of balance. I already spend anywhere from 40-60 hours per week working at a challenging job, then I go and decide to pursue by MBA degree at the same time. And now it's summer and the summer session is compressed and I have 2 classes, both with several group projects, and I am overwhelmed. This week I had 2 exams to prepare for, 1 project that needs to be completed and submitted by Monday, and another larger project that we are in the midst of. All while working at the same time. Many people in my class are in the same boat, or worse because they have children too. But at least half of them appear to be spoiled lazy 20-somethings who are still being taken care of by mommy and daddy and apparently are going to MBA school to avoid getting a job. Ah, I digress into a whole other rant again. Sorry.



So I was stressed out and pressed for time this week. And I ate. And ate. And ate. And I didn't exercise. At all. And this is not good. This is not what I want my life to be. I want my life to be simpler. I want to have time to take care of myself, to make exercise a daily committment, to shop for healthy food, to spend time finding and trying new healthy recipes. Yes, there was a time in my life that I enjoyed doing this. I loved to find a new recipe and give it a try. If I only had time now.



But the fact is, this is where my life is now and I have to figure out how best to work with what I have. The fact is that until August 13 and the summer session is over I will be overcommitted and I have to deal with that. Because I do not want to continue gaining weight over the next 6-7 weeks. In fact, I'd like to lose some! At this time I am not sure what the solution is. I guess I need to start with making sure I get enough rest because I have not been.

After August 13, I need to decide what I want for myself in the fall semester. I am really thinking hard about dropping back to 1 class for the fall semester. My original plan had been to stick with a pace of 2 classes/semester so that I would finish in 3 years. But I am tired. And my health needs to be a bigger priority. So I probably should give myself a little bit of a break, right? For some reason it is hard to me to commit to do that. Somehow I feel "bad" about "taking it easy." I feel like I always have to be working really hard. I need to find a way to change that. Or at least put more of the focus of my hard work onto myself and my health.

2 comments:

Big Girl said...

You sound totally busy! Finding time for yourself is an important thing to do and if it means cutting back to one class in the fall you should do it. You can always pick up to 2 the next semester. Whatever you decide, make sure you take time for yourself, you're worth it.

Lynn said...

I sure hope that things slow down for you a bit. It sounds like you need to take sometime for yourself right now, and that means doing whatever it takes!