Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weigh In: 2.4 gained, 177.1 to go.

First weigh in post op shows I gained 2.4 pounds.  Seems crazy considering I ate and drank literally nothing from midnight Thursday through Sunday.  Monday I had water, one cup of broth , and a popcicle.  But I was also on IV fluids for 4 days, received 2 units of blood and 4 units of iron.  So I'm thinking it's swings in water weight.

They did determine that I am anemic, which is shocking to me.  I always think of anemic people as skinny little gals who don't eat enough.   Clearly that was not me.  I've had a terrible ice-chewing habit for months and several people kept telling me to get checked for anemia as craving ice is apparently a symptom.  I poo-poo'ed the whole idea being the big strapping girl I am.  I was wrong.  I have my post op follow up next week and I'm betting they put me on iron pills.

For the next 2 days I remain on clear liquids, water, Crystal lite, broth, sugar free popcicles and jello.  No carbonated beverages of any kind...forever....goodbye my beloved Diet Cokes. 

For the first week my main focus is to get in enough fluids.  My new stomach is still swollen and so it can be difficult to even get the fluids down very quickly.  No more gulping water.  Yesterday when I ate a popcicle, I couldn't finish it.  It won't always be this restrictive.  This is just due to post-op swelling.

Once I get the liquids going down better, my focus is to be sure to get enough protein in.  For 3 weeks I am to stay on the liquid protein diet I was on for 4 weeks prior to surgery, then I can move on to "mushy" type foods for two weeks (cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, hot cereals, yogurt, etc), and then I can move on to testing regular foods.

This "progressive" diet is to allow the staple line in the stomach to heal fully before putting too much strain on it.  Some surgeons allow people to move on to regular food much more quickly, but I like that my surgeon is uber careful.

Today I am feeling pretty OK.  I rested amazingly well in my own bed last night.  Nobody waking me up every hour to check my BP, no beeping IV machines, no hallway noise.  Bliss.  Still some soreness in my abdomen but that is improving.  I can sit up in bed without much trouble at this point.  I need to get started gettting my daily fluids down.  What I am noticing is that warm stuff goes down easier than cold.  When I first was allowed to drink, I had been craving ice water so badly but the cold, while tasting delicious, made my tummy feel somewhat crampy.  The warm broth felt much more sooting.

I was supposed to go back to work today, but that was when I thought I was getting out of the hospital on Saturday so I am taking at least an extra day.  Just going to rest up at home some more today.  I am sure much napping will be going on.  That is my hope anyway.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're getting better. :D

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! The IV fluids have all sorts of interesting effects of your body...fluid retention is a big one! Give it a few days and I'll bet you'll see a dramatic drop.

I hear you on appreciating being in your own bed...you only have to be in hospital a short time to realize how noisy/sleep-disrupting it is - even if you have a private room.

Take care and enjoy your nap(s)!!!

Anonymous said...

I do the ice-chewing thing too. Thanks for friending me on LoseIt -- I am finding your progress very inspiring!