I am now within 2 weeks of my surgery and have been on the doctor prescribed liquid protein diet for 2 weeks now. Just 2 more to go. It's been hard although not as hard as I thought it would be. The shakes really are pretty good and I could see continuing to use them as a meal replacement later even when not required to. I am also allowed clear liquids such as sugar free popcicles, sugar free jello, and broth.
The purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver prior to surgery. It helps make the surgery easier on the surgeon and on me. Most of the people I have read about or talked to only have to do one, maybe two weeks of this diet. But Dr. Kim wanted me to do four because I carry all my weigth in my middle where he will be doing the surgery. So he wanted me to drop some weight.
Just with these 15 pounds lost I have noticed the following:
- I sleep better
- I wore my size 24 jeans yesterday instead of my 26's
- A couple people at work have commented on a how I appear to them. Some of the things I heard were that I am "glowing", "look springy", and even one "you look beautiful".
- I feel better and spend more time fixing up in the morning.
- I walked up the stairs in my house with much less effort than before.
- When I was at Target yesterday I noticed I didn't stop to grab a cart. Usually I always grab a cart even if I'm only getting one thing because I feel like I need something to lean on in order to walk through that big store.
- I feel motivated and confident that I can do this.
Just 15 measly pounds did all this. I am in for some great things to come as I lose the rest of it.


3 comments:
hi deb, i love your list. i think it's important to enjoy the way it feels to lose weight and appreciate the journey rather than just the final outcome. i wish you the best in surgery and will continue to check in. have a great weekend.
I think the best thing that happens is regaining of faith and confidence in the body to look better and be active in life.
Hey Deb --
It's great to see you posting, and I'm rooting for you all the way with whatever tool you choose to achieve your goals -- I know you'll have a successful surgery and I'm looking forward to watching you shrink!
Post a Comment