
I spent alot of time reading blogs yesterday. It's interesting to see the two different camps regarding New Year's Resolutions. Some people make resolutions or goals of some sort this time each year. Others make none because they see nothing magical about January 1. Makes sense. Why do we have to wait til January 1 or Monday or tomorrow or whatever arbitrary start point we choose? Why not just resolve to change today? Set new goals today? Yep, makes alot of sense to me.
And yet...I am a New Year's Resolutions girl. I call mine Goals. I think there's a couple of reasons for this. During this holiday time of year things seem to slow down for a bit, at least in terms of work. Offices close early, parties are had, people take time off, families visit, kids are out of school. Overall to me it feels like a winding down process. Maybe that's because I generally am on vacation every year between Christmas and New Year's.
This winding down feeling combined with more free time for relaxation and introspection inevitably leads me to think about what I have accomplished in the past year and what things I hope to improve upon and accomplish in the upcoming year. Spending this time each year has only become important to me in very recent years and I think that's because as I get older I am becoming more aware of time and the fact that we all have a limited and unknown quantity of it at our disposal.
Now I will be the first to admit that it is kind of rare that I actually accomplish all the goals that I have set out for myself in a year. I blame that primarily on not keeping my focus on them throughout the year. As I move out of the restful holiday season and back into regular life and the busiest time of year for an accountant, I easily fall back into the same old routines and my ethusiasm for my goals is pushed to the back of my priority list.
Today I feel like I have a clean slate in front of me. I want to keep that clean slate feeling every day all year long.


8 comments:
Cleaan slates are always good!! Makes sense to me about resolutions and being able to start whenver you need to.. however, I alkso make up goals in January. :)
Love the calendar and stickers! Great idea!
As much as I try not to see a clean slate before me, I'm the same way. And I think you are right about it being the end of the year, and time for reflection. So onto those great 2010 goals - this is our year!
Stickers and calendars are great ways of seeing your progress. You have to do what works for you!
I think resolutions are a good thing, but I also think it's best to focus on the positive ("I will exercise more) rather than the negative ("I will stop being so lazy"!)
Hope to read all about your successes in the year ahead. :o)
I also love New Year's! I get the whole clean slate thing... All the best for 2010! You can do it!
Heh...I've been thinking about doing a sticker chart because it's working so well with my Small one!
Clean Slate each day! Challenge yourself to do just one thing each day to promote your health. That is what I try to do each day. Seems to be working so far.
Post a Comment