I survived the business trip I mentioned in my last post. Not without some Fat Girl Nightmare Come True experiences, however.
I work for an oil company (don't hate me or else I will have to take the time to post all the reasons why $4/gallon is actually quite a bargain for gasoline). For us, a trip to a field office means a trip to the boondocks. In this case, the trip took me deep in the bayous of southern Louisiana. I have never experienced humidity like I experienced those two days in the bayou. It was only 83 degrees but about 5 billion percent humidity. But I get ahead of myself with the traumas of travelling in a fat suit.
I got myself to the airport in plenty of time so that I would not have to hurry and be huffing and puffing and sweating as I made my way to the gate. Didn't matter. I got there the same time as two colleagues and so feel obligated to try to keep their pace and ended up huffing and puffing and sweating anyway. I really cannot overemphasize just how much I was sweating. This was not a lovley glow or even a few beads on the upper lip. Sweat was running down my face in rivers. My hair was wet. I looked like I had just finished working out. This was the state I was in as we waited for our plane and I was forced to meet half a dozen colleagues I had never met before. Everyone was quite kind in pretending not to notice I was panting like a dog and sweating like a horse.
Next up, boarding the plane. We are on Southwest and all I can think is "aren't they the airline that makes fat people buy two seats?" I just wanted to find a seat, get in it, and not look up or around. I ended up snagging one of the very front seats. The seat belt was too short. I could not stand the embarrassment of asking for an extender so I faked that the seatbelt was closed. Yes, I was risking my own safety to avoid embarrassment.
As we waited for the plane to finish boarding, one of the flight attendants asked me if I was afraid of flying. He had noticed my profuse sweating and assumed I was having a panick attack. Maybe I was, but if I was, it wasn't for the reasons he assumed. He handed me a stack of paper towels and I wanted to die.
The flight from Dallas to New Orleans is only about an hour. We landed, deplaned, and gathered to figure out who was riding in what car. We set off for the car rental counter. Again, I am huffing and puffing and sweating. We headed down an escalator and inside I was rejoicing at the few seconds I could set my bag down and rest. But upon getting to the bottom, we realized we actually needed to be up. And the up escalator was not working. So I hauled myself up the stairs. My own 350 pounds plus my bag. Still sweating rivers.
Outside waiting for our car the air was so thick with humidity I felt like I had to chew it before I could breathe it. There were no benches to sit on while waiting and I stood there sweating, back aching, trying to catch my breathe and act like everything was normal. We got our car and the colleague who drove the car I was in could not have been kinder. He just said, "I'll let you adjust the temperature." The gentleman's way of saying, "I can see you are about to spontaneously combust so feel free to crank down the AC."
We had about an hour's drive to where we were going so I was able to rest, catch my breath, and cool down. I felt so exhausted I just wanted to get where we were going and go to bed. When we finally got to where we were staying I did have to do the whole "meet and greet" thing which was not as horrific as I had thought it would be. By then I had stopped sweating and I didn't notice any pointing and staring as I (irrationally, maybe) thought there would be.
The next day was full of meetings and then we were off again back to Dallas. The trip back was pretty much the same thing as the trip there. This time the plane was a little bigger and apparently bigger planes have longer seatbelts because this one fit. Getting off the plane in Dallas I decided I was on my own. I was not going to try to keep up with or chat with any of my colleagues. I ended up having to stop and rest 3 times before getting out of the airport and one more time as I entered the parking garage. I honestly feared what was going to happen to me if I couldn't find my car because there was no way I could traipse all over that garage without collapsing. Thankfully I did find my car.
I got in the car, cranked up the AC, and just sat there for a minute to gather myself. I was frazzled. Physically and emotionally. I cried in my car in that parking garage. And I cried the whole way home. A simple one night trip a short one hour away had left me exhausted and broken. How is it I let myself get like this? And what will it take to get me to change? I am clearly hurting myself terribly.
Why can't I stop? Why won't I change?
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
10 months ago


24 comments:
Oh Deb, I have SO been there. After a mere 8 months, I am the one walking too fast for everyone else. You can absolutely do it, one day at a time!
I'm so sorry it was such a difficult trip for you. I think many of us have been in the same place under different circumstances but still suffering the same shame, hopelessness and sadness. But you can always start over and take it one day at a time and a year from now you'll be looking back at this post and thanking yourself that you did.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Keep in touch. We'll both lose the weight we need to - there's a lot of support out there in blogland.
I'm so sorry this experience was so horrific for you. But you made it through what sounds like a hellacious trip for anyone. I understand how much more difficult it was because of your weight.
Now take the memory of this trip and hold it close to your heart. The next time you want to go off your healthy eating plan and eat something you shouldn't or too much or you don't want to exercise, come back and read this post. Remember the humiliation, the pain, the agony. Keep it foremost in your mind. Don't forget it. Use it to your advantage.
I've experienced this same kind of thing, maybe not to this extent because I was "only" 100 pounds overweight, but it was a very similar experience and it was hell. Not being able to keep up with normal-sized people is one of the things that really got me on track. That and the pain of being morbidly obese. Plain and simple, being fat hurts and I detest pain.
Seriously, I think this trip was probably the absolute best thing that could happen to you. It'll give you strength to continue down the path to being healthy. It should be the most important thing in your life right now.
You hang in there. I expect to see great things from you in the months to come. :)
Thank you for your story and being so candid. I'm sorry it was a rough trip. I just want to encourage you that TODAY can be the day to start over! You are not the only one that's lost weight and then it's back. I am there right now, too. It's just a one day at a time thing. And each day you will feel better and feel prouder of yourself. I'm glad I found your blog--you are an inspiration and I hope to see great things from you! :)
I'm sorry, Deb - I've been there, too - trying to keep up with the thin, fit people and pretending that I wasn't about to freakin' DIE while doing so. Hugs to you.
So sorry! Been there too, so I empathize. Causes me to avoid a lot of things. Congratulations to you for going.
I'm sorry this was such a nightmare for you. I think you really want to change, but the task looks so daunting.
I have found that the best way for me to tackle this was to make regular small changes to my diet and lifestyle. Sure, you don't lose as much as quickly, but you GAIN momentum instead of LOSING momentum. I've realized that it doesn't matter if it takes me three or more years to lose all my excess weight, as long as I am healthier and thinner from one year to the next. And the beauty of it is that I am getting pretty fit in the process... I am probably the fittest and healthiest 300 pound woman in my city!
Thinking of you!
I have been through this, too. The other commenters have said what I was going to say. Just know that you are not alone. Don't give up. You CAN do this. And when you get to where you want to be, you are going to look back on this experience and appreciate your success even more.
Dude that sucks. I have been there though. I used to sweat sooo much. And as you know, living in Texas only makes it worse. One time on a plane, they sat me in the front row. The seats were different and I really had to wedge my hips in there. It left indentations on me when I got up. It was hard to get out. And to make things worse, there was some skinny girl sitting indian style on the seat next to me. How do you even do that on such a small seat?
I HATE sweating in front of people! That was totally me hiking to dinner the other week. stopping panting, sweating. ew. I was SO embarrassed, it happens to all of us though. It's what inspired me to tackle our 12 flights of stairs, daily.
I know how you feel. I do - because I was 305 at my highest, and I flew, and I lived in Florida, where the humidity was a killer.
I wanted to just say I'm sorry that trip was so hard for you. It's not easy, but if you can just put it behind you that will be the best thing for you.
As an encouragement to you - I did lose all my weight, and you can too!!! I know it's not easy, but I'm really rooting for your success.
Deb, dear, I know how you feel. We can't change what's behind us--we can only change the here and now. I know how it hurts and I wish there were something I can say to help, but just know there are so many of us that understand and completely empathize. I know there are times when I've felt so humiliated that all I could do was cry. *Hugs* We CAN do this!
Bethany
I'm sorry the travel part of your trip was so miserable, Deb. I've spent some time in Mississippi and Louisiana in the summer, and I remember the incredible humidity very well.
You CAN stop/change. Losing just the first 10% will bring about a really significant improvement in your comfort level, and you are worth putting first!
I, too, have been there. I mean literally, Dallas in this humidity is not fun. Reading your experience helped me remember back to mine the last time I was there. Just know that you are not alone, you never are. There are many people who have the same experiences. And, there are people out there who are able to treat others with compassion, such as the people you were traveling with. Thank you for sharing yourself so honestly as you travel on your journey. This will get easier.
I'm so, so, sorry you had such a miserable time. I've been there- sweating profusely in front of the "thin" people, panting, red-faced, while pretending that everything's fine. I know exactly how you feel. Maybe you could use this as your "moment" when everything changes. My moment was when the kids in my son's kindergarden class started singing, "Josh's mom is the fattest mom in school!" whenever I showed up.
It made something click for me and I started doing something about it. Like Hanlie says, just make small changes. When I finally realized that I wasn't going to lose 100 pounds in 2 weeks and that it really didn't matter how long it took- THAT'S when the weight started coming off. Lose just a little each week and the time will pass. Before you know it, you'll be a bit less than you were and you'll feel better. Even a small loss can make a big difference. I'm down 50 pounds- it's taken a year, but I don't care.
Sorry to go on and on, but I know exactly how you feel. I know everyone says, "If I can do it, anyone can," but it's so true- I was the most hopeless lump ever, I NEVER thought I'd lose weight. You CAN do it, you really can. Do it slowly and let time pass.
oh, friend....I'm sorry. I've been there, too...more than once. It's a horrible, sweaty, and humiliating experience. I'm sending lots of hugs...and we'll get through this together. :)
{{{A big sweaty hug for you, Deb}}}
Despite how horrible you felt, you're through it now. I hope you can harness this negative energy and use it for the powerful motivation it can be. I've got my pom-poms at my side and I'm cheering for you!
Dear Deb,
I just discovered your blog. What a great post, so evocative of the things that grind you down when you are overweight. I hope to read more from you, and that you have a better week!
Sabine
oh Honey I have also been there and could feel the pain in your typing and this experience. I have said those last words of yours so many times. Blaming ME and me alone for the weight. I reached the absolute end one year ago this month and decided to have gastric bypass surgery which I did in February 2009. MY decision and a different way to approach it than you are right now but the correct decision for me at this time in my life. It is still one day at a time for me and there are still days when I feel homely,wrinkled and fat and never gonna get all of this weight off but with this tool I received there is hope for me and HOPE for you as well! I cannot wait until I can get on a plane and be able to use the seat belt... but I have to wait probably anopther 50 pounds or so until I feel comfortable doing that. Then LOOK OUT WORLD! I am renewing my passport and am gone! Give me a any plane, even a puddle jumper anything and I want to be on it! Chin up kiddo you're making progress.
Hugs
Ruth
Oh Deb! I could have written this post. I ask myself the same questions. Not sure that it's any consolation, but you are def not alone. ((Hugs))
You are not alone. As I read your post, it was so familiar. I am constantly embarrassed by how profusely I sweat and how little exertion is required to make me sweat, huff and puff in my fat suit.
I am trying to change, one day at a time. Some days are harder than others and some days I fail, but today is a new day and I will keep trying.
{{{hugs}}}
Hi ... I am just reading your blog for the first time, and could really relate to this post. I felt this way many times last year. One thing I have started doing now is being more open about it, knowing in my heart that it will change ... and is not a permanent condition. Of course, addressing it directly is not always appropriate, perhaps as in meeting colleagues for the first time, but I did start being honest about it with some people in my life, and it felt good. I felt better, to just come out and say what they were thinking already. Take care, and thanks for writing. I am going to follow your blog, and I look forward to reading more. :)
traveling for business is one of the hardest thing to do when you're plus-sized and even HARDER when you're trying to lose weight and be healthy. i am so there with you.
whether it's meeting new people, or catered work dinners or having to ask for a seatbelt extender ... it's just never a good experience.
i had to fly 15 times in august for work ... so i totally know how you were feeling here.
know that you're not alone out in the 'big' world.
C2C
Post a Comment