Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weigh in: 1.1 lost, 169.2 to go

Not sure how, but I lost just over a pound since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago. During these past 14 days I have not been following my plan of eating. I don't even know how many hours I have worked these past two weeks. I know I came home late every night and worked full days last Saturday and Sunday to boot. This kind of schedule always wrecks me. I have not been able to figure out how to moderate my behavior when I am under stress and very tired. My behavior during this time has fluctuated from only eating when I am hungry and watching my portions but not necessarily making the healthy choice (drive-thru workers near my office became reacquainted with me this week) to all-out bingeing where I would make a special stop at the store on the way home to pick up my usual binge foods. There were at least 2 nights that I became so physically ill that I vomited. My exercise was sporadic at best. How all this adds up to a pound lost, I cannot imagine. I guess I just have to add this to the evidence that the scale doesn't make any sense and that we should try to not put so much stock in it.

So that was the past two weeks. Coming up for this week is some more long hours although hopefully not quite so much. Since Sundays are my weigh-in day I always look at them as a bit of a fresh start and so I will be spending some time today planning what I am going to be eating this week and getting to the grocery store. My main goals for the upcoming week are:

  1. To spend time each evening packing a lunch and snacks to get me through the next day.
  2. To be in bed by 10:30 at the latest so I can get to Curves for my workout on M,W,F.

This whole struggle I have with balance as it relates to my work is one that has been going on for years. And one that needs some examination. I should feel grateful in these tough economic times that I have a job that is fairly secure and that pays me very well. And yet, I have deep feelings of resentment about the ways that my job negatively impacts my life in other ways....my health and weight, my social life (or lack thereof), my general happiness. Financially my job is a great one. But I don't think I am happy in it. I'd like to find a way to be happy in it because it is so good financially. Others seem to be making it work. Why can't I?

12 comments:

Hanlie said...

I can identify with that! I had reached great success in my job and was earning a great salary... Yet, all other areas in my life were affected by the demands and frustrations of my work.

Hang in there, Deb! You'll figure it out...

CJ said...

As Hanlie said, hang in there Deb! I hope you can have a time when your job, your weight, your happiness, all aligns. In the mean time, just keep hanging on and it will work out!! Good luck!

Melzie said...

I often wonder about how to balance everything. When I'm at school I think about what I need to do at home, when I'm home- I think about grades, assignments, plans, and more. My family, church, and other responsibilities... it's teh great concern I think for many people- women especially!

Be glad in your loss! I hoep you can find a way to be happier in balancing. Maybe getting out for a walk while you are working- breathing in fresh air and getting away for a 10 minute intervals...

Ria said...

Congratulations on the loss, Deb! I'm sorry that you've had such a hellish couple of weeks, and I'm glad that your workload will lighten up at least a little this week. I think the self-knowledge you developed last year is starting to pay dividends. Considering the kind of stress you've been under, it's great that you were able to manage your eating and get your exercise in at least part of the time -- and those victories showed up on the scale!

Your goals for next week sound great . . . here's to the healthy lunches and snacks, and to making it to Curves. It sounds like your job has a lot going for it despite the insane hours - hang in there and just keep working with those tools you developed last year to make the best choices you can.

It's amazing how a writer like Bryson can bring an experience to life! Hiking into the Grand Canyon also sounds like a great thing to do . . . I may try to talk my brother into going there with me for a few days next time I visit him in Vegas.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that you lost weight, but I'm worried for you because of your stress level! I don't know what advice to give you, except to try to figure out your limits. You have to set some limits or you'll work yourself to death! *hugs* I hope things get better for you very soon. Is there a co-worker that you feel comfortable enough with that you could ask about how they balance their workload? Or perhaps a college counselor? Hopefully you will find some good info to help you. And just do the best you can; that's all anyone can do.
~Bethany

new*me said...

planning ahead should help out a lot and yes, get more sleep!

Maybe start praying about your job or doing research on other jobs you are qualified for. When you aren't happy at a job, it's really hard to be happy in the rest of your life.......lots of money does not mean happiness for sure!

Natalia said...

Hey Deb,
Wow it sounds like you work a lot of hours. Do they require this of you or do you choose to do it? Either way like you say you have to find some balance. Maybe know that during this time you may eat more or make some less healthy choices or pick a day to have dinner at the drive thru. Balance is so important, but it can be hard to achieve sometimes! I think that you are doing a great job of being honest with yourself and THAT is VERY important in this journey!

I hope that you can take some time for you!!

((Hugs))
Natalia :)

Susie said...

I'm self employed and I can totally relate. I'm trying to learn to allow myself to leave my office more often during the day and end my business day by a certain time because I do actually NEED time outside of work. I didn't used to think so!!

Congrats on the loss... That's 4 sticks of butter! Woo hoo!!

Suz

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, hope all goes well, and hang in there!

Daria said...

I am inspired by your blog. I, too, have strugled with my weight my whole life. I am tired of it. As I've told my family and friends...I'd like to try thin for awhile. Just always remember to celebrate the one pound weeks, just as you would the five.

Rebecca said...

Balance is part of the journey, and wow it can be a bear sometimes....but hang in there! :-)

365 Fit said...

My best advice on the eating thing is to set aside a couple hours one night a week and make all your meals for the week. Put them in microwaveable containers and portion them out and just eat the one you are supposed to for that meal. At work, make sure you have plenty of things that you are supposed to eat, there are a few blogs that talk about it, and there are other resources that list good things to keep like nuts. Also if possible put a mini fridge near your desk or wherever you are for work and keep vegetables and fruit in there to snack on. There are always solutions when we look for them. Good luck with it all.