Sunday, January 4, 2009

Weigh in: 3.8 lost, 172.7 to go

WOO HOO!!! 3.8 down on the first weigh-in of 2009. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I think the consistent exercise this week really helped me. I joined Curves right before the New Year and have gone consistently for 2 weeks now. While I really enjoyed the water aerobics I was doing, it is better for me to get my exercise out of the way in the mornings before work. There are no water aerobics classes I can do early enough in the morning to still make it to work on time. But, Curves opens at 5:45AM on M/W/F so that is my new plan. I am heading into the crazy busy season of work plus I am taking 2 MBA classes this semester so I knew I needed to find something I could do first thing in the morning or else consistent exercise would fall easily to the wayside.

In the past I have been extremely successful when I committed to morning workouts. In fact, there was a time not that long ago (5 years or so) that I was working out every morning except Sundays. And not suprisingly, I weighed around 195 pounds and was wearing a size 14 or 16. I felt good, energized, and enjoyed my routine. I didn't struggle with depression the way I do now. I felt athletic and accomplished. I feel hopeful and confident that my new routine at Curves is the first step in getting back to where I was physically 5 years ago.

CHALLENGES FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
  • Going back to work. This is an ongoing struggle for me. I always seem to have to fight nervous/anxious nibbling while I am there, especially when I first get there. My immediate impulse is to nibble my anxiety away.
  • Tuesday night basketball game. My company owns a suite at the American Airlines Center where the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars play. Tuesday night is my department's turn to go to the basketball game. In the suites there is always all kinds of food and drinks provided. Staying away from that will not be my challenge as I don't like to eat in front of others at this weight. My challenges will be 1) to make sure I eat my own healthy dinner before I go and 2) to still be able to get up at the crack of dawn the next day to exercise.

11 comments:

WWSuzi said...

Well you have a plan and i think that is one of the most important things :) Can't wait to hear about your success's this week!!

Ria said...

CONGRATULATIONS, DEB! I am so happy for you - what a great start to 2009.

Your morning workouts at Curves sound like a perfect way to fit exercise in despite a very hectic schedule. I have had the same experience with exercise making an enormous difference in my rate of weight-loss. Keep up the great work!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! All of your hard work paid off.

I've been trying to move my exercise time to the mornings too. I am not a morning person, so there has been zero progress in that. :)

Deb said...

Kimberly - making morning exercise my routine was definitely one of the hardest habits I ever acquired but once I had it down, I was so glad I did. It is so easy to come up with excuses in the evenings (too tired, other plans, etc) to skip working out. But when you are doing it in the mornings it just becomes part of your routine, like brushing your teeth.

When I first tried to make this habit, I used a tip I read in Shape magazine years and years ago. It's silly, but it works....sleep in your workout clothes withe your shoes right next to the bed. When you alarm goes off you are already dressed. Now just get up, pee, and go. No excuses. Good luck to you. It's a habit well worth making.

Dani said...

You freeking rocked that scale for the week! Your workouts are simply awe-inspiring! I am so in line with you on getting my workouts in the am...I have so many reasons to avoid them as the day progresses! You will be a busy little beaver, but remember the success begets success...so keep on rockin'!

Anonymous said...

uh oh.
do I need to call you at the proverbial crack on wed?

:)

dont tempt me...Im up!

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the great loss! And on incorporating exercise. I'm totally sleeping in my workout clothes tonight to see if that helps me get to the gym tomorrow morning.

Lynn said...

Hi Deb! It sounds like you are doing great! I am so glad to hear that you have found a plan that should work for you. I wish you all the best! Keep us updated.

Michelle said...

What a loss! Congrats. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing loss! Congratulations! Good luck--hope you have another awesome week.
Bethany

Natalia said...

Yeah congrats on your first weigh in that is awesome!

It's great that you are working out at a time that is best for you, that you've thought about how to get that exercise in first. I like to exercise in the morning as well, then I know it's done. At the end of the day I'm tired and I don't want to go work out. Good for you!

Hmmm, As for the morning after the basketball game, is there something else you could do at home on that day so that you don't have to get up as early, but you get a workout in? Or like Miz said we can call ya! LOL

You are doing so great!