Friday, November 27, 2009

What's Cooking? - Black Bean Salad

Are you sick of turkey and sick of cooking in general? Here's a tasty dish I created myself that contains no turkey and required no cooking at all....well, except for nuking my Steamfresh brown rice (the greatest invention known to man).




I had been buying a black bean salad at Whole Foods and decided it didn't look all that complicated so I decided to try to replicate it at home. I adore the combination of black beans and corn. I literally just threw this together by eye, so I don't have measurements:



  • Canned black beans, drained and rinsed

  • Frozen corn

  • Chopped bell pepper - red, yellow, and green

  • Chopped onions

  • One chopped jalepeno (seeded)

  • Garlic powder

  • Fresh cilanto

  • Juice of one lime


I served it with a side of brown rice and, my friends, this was delicious. Light, easy, and healthy. Next time I will probably add an extra jalepeno, chopped tomatoes, and maybe red onions instead of white.


It was best served the second day after the flavors had time to meld in the refrigerator. Yummo!

5 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Take a walk on the wild side and leave them jalapeno seeds in there...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.. that sounds yummy!

Patsy said...

That sounds fantastic! I'm rubbish in the kitchen and always on the lookout for good (and simple!) salad recipes that I can pack up and take out with me. :o)

I LOVE chilis so I'd leave the seeds in as well... ;o)

Ria said...

I love the bean-corn combo also . . . I have a recipe for something called "cowboy caviar" that is similar, but includes black-eyed peas and chopped fresh tomatoes.

Hanlie said...

That's totally my kind of food!