I'm finally getting around to posting some of the creations I came up with after buying various winter squash at Whole Foods.
For the butternut squash I decided to do a soup. I got this recipe from Food Network. Yeah, it has heavy cream in it, but not much considering the number of servings it makes.

I was suprised I liked it as well as I did. Many times squash is just too squashy-tasting to appeal to me so I was a bit afraid of a soup made nearly entirely from squash. I was pleasantly suprised to find that I liked it alot. If I made it again, I would probably try it with a little heat by adding a shot or two of tabasco. Might go nicely with the sweetness from the honey.
That said, it's unlikely I will actually make this again unless I find a good trick to getting the squash out of the skin. It took me forever because the darn thing was so hot. But I was afraid if I let it cool it would be hard to scoop out of the skins. Yes, Alton Brown says this recipe was easy, but for the squash newby...not so much!


6 comments:
It looks good! I'm with you - when food is too hard to prep I probably won't make the recipe again.
Yummy! I love butternut squash soup. I have never tried to make it though. There has to be a simpler way to get the flesh out of the squash. Perhaps cutting the squash into thick wedges or pieces? I love the Food Network!
I just made acorn squash soup, with coconut milk and hot chili sauce, etc. I chop squash in half, roast it, let it cool completely, scrape it out with a spoon. The first time I dealt with one, I peeled it raw, cut it up, and that was the biggest pain, so this is much easier. Of course, I have to heat it back up again and cook it in the soup, but that's not effort at all, and the immersion blender makes it a very easy meal.
Wow--you're adventurous...
Bethany
Thats the story of my life :) so much so that I wont take anyones word for recipes being easy and tend to stick to cookbooks for kids.
I love me some rachel ray for kids :)
Yum! Innovative and healthy. Great job!
Post a Comment