Sunday, November 29, 2009

An Open Letter to Grocery Store Clerks

Dear Grocery Store Clerks,



I've never done your job before but I have been your customer for years so I think that gives me a unique perspective from which to make suggestions on how you should do your job. What I need you to do is quite simple: 1) Greet me politely; 2) Work efficiently; and 3) Thank me.



What I do NOT need you to do is provide any sort of commentary regarding my purchases. What I am buying and the purpose for which I am buying it is NUNYA DAMN BIDNESS!!! I do not wish to be congratulated if my cart is full of produce and fat free yogurt. And I do not need to know if you think the chocolate cake I am buying "looks really good." And I ESPECIALLY do not need to hear any jokes from you should I be buying lettuce and ice cream and nothing else.



I am sure it is difficult to not pass judgment on the purchases of your customers, particularly the fat ones. But might I suggest you keep your thoughts to your own damn self?



Thank you,

SheddingMyFatSuit

20 comments:

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog, but I totally hear what you are saying. I remember buying, among other things, diet soda and Snicker bars. I was having a party and was going to make Snicker brownies for a dessert-and shock of all shocks-I was going to have diet soda available for my guests too. The cashier looked at me and said, "That's real smart". I won't tell you what I was thinking!

Sorry the rude clerk took out her bad day on you.

WWSuzi said...

For some reason people are becoming more irritating! I work with the public and some of the stories they have told me are nasty :(

Patsy said...

Awww... :o( Sorry the assistant ticked you off...

After years of being addicted to full-sugar cola drinks, I veered the other way and ended up preferring the taste of diet coke. You can imagine the looks I got when, in my 400lbs+ days, I ordered a huge meal at a restaurant "and a diet coke, please"! It actually makes me smile now to think about it!

However, if anyone had made a quip about it to my face, they would have received a right old tongue lashing from me in response!

Diana said...

I TOTALLY agree with you! I've had the same experience and find it extremely annoying. You would think it would be common sense. Since it's not, it should be taught in grocery checker training. No comments about our food.

Learning to be Less said...

I feel the exact same way. Like when I buy syrup and chicken broth and lunch meat they always say "what are you making?"

Like I would really eat all those things together. Dumb asses. Not to be too snotty but there is a reason they are working the checkout and not running fortune 500 companies. Tact maybe one of those reasons.

Even after you shed some pounds, you still get comments. This is why I like to do the self-checker.

Linda Pressman said...

I'm with you, Deb. When I was heavy, I always felt like I had to make up these elaborate stories for the checkout people - like I was having a sleepover for my son and that explained the many candy bars I was buying. Of course, my son was three years old at the time! But honestly, it was none of anyone's business.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I work for a national grocery chain and I know it can get like that sometimes. Looking at both sides of this, I understand how you feel. I have been on the receiving end of those conversations. I have also been on the giving end. Lots of times, people are just trying to be friendly. It's small talk. Regardless, the commentary can be a tricky business. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Unknown said...

Sometimes people hate their jobs so much it makes them feel better to be rude, which is lame!!!

Joanne said...

Hi there just found your blog today and almost stood up cheering at this post. Just the other week during the final checkout at Costco the guy almost yelled out - METAMUCIL!!! Yep I am a hormonal woman with issues so pissoffandmindyourownbusiness!!!

Look forward to watching your journey.

http://joannetryingagain.blogspot.com/

Shelley said...

I used to get that when I would buy wine...always the "having a party?" question. No, I just really like wine, so shut your yap and ring me up!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Dear Grocery Clerk,
Ditto.

:)

My most recent experience? "What are you going to do with all of these apples?" Um, eat them? Sheesh.

Sevenbeads said...

I'm a public librarian. I never make comments about the books that people ask me to put on their reserve list or check out. There are books about everything from incontinence to "how to survive a job loss." I don't bat an eye. I expect the check-out clerk in a supermarket to do the same. I'm with you!

Ria said...

I definitely understand how you feel about this - I know the clerks are probably just trying to be friendly, but my own sensitivity about my choices makes it a "no-chat" zone for me too.

Anonymous said...

I can relate too! I just raved about customer service today~funny...

I saw your comment on Jen's blog about the pink beck book...I have that one too and started but never finished it. If your interested in reading it and doing emails to discuss it I would be interested...email me if you are :)

Hanlie said...

In this country we are lucky if they even notice or acknowledge us...

Violet Cream said...

Here, here!

Stephanie said...

WHAT? Someone congratulated you on your purchases? That's weird.
BODA weight loss

Tamzin said...

Hey hey! where has you been! :) I'm awaiting your return to blogging!! Hope you're enjoying the Texas weather!

Anonymous said...

So True! Don't need any comment about my purchases unless you are paying for them! Wishing you and yours a Wonderful Holiday!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I know you posted this a while ago, but the emotions are still the same. I cannot stand rudeness from clerks - it makes me mad!!