Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Group Support: Sometimes It's Twisted

I think most will agree that having the support of like minds is an immeasureable asset to people trying to lose weight. For me, I think it also has the danger of messing with your head or putting undue pressure on you.

Case in point:

Yesterday I had to go to the DPS office to renew my driver's license. While waiting in line I realized I was behind my former Weight Watchers leader. So I said hello and we started chatting about the fact it was both our birthdays, Thanksgiving was coming, etc. Then, out of nowhere, she starts telling me how sometimes it can be embarrassing to run into her WW members outside of the meeting. She said the day before she had been eating dinner at IHOP and was nervous someone would see her because "how can you be 'good' at IHOP?" I just laughed and said, "I guess you do the best you can and maybe leave some on the plate." Then she started justifying what she had eaten at IHOP. "I got the pot roast but told them to leave the gravy off. It was really dry. And I had it with broccoli and corn." I could not give a rip what she ate at IHOP and yet here she was justifying it to me as though I had caught her red-handed with her face in a short stack drenched in syrup.

You know, this is one of the things I hate about "group dieting". The guilt. I didn't see her eating at IHOP but clearly she felt so guilty about it she had to justify it to me. A day later. It was still bugging her a day later. I wasn't even there! I haven't been to her meetings in weeks. It strikes me as a bit twisted.

What I know is I don't want to trade my current set of twisted food behaviors for a different set of twisted behaviors. I just want to have a healthy mindset surrounding food. I don't want to feel guilty one way or the other. I just want to learn to eat healthy most of the time and realize that into every life a little IHOP will creep and to not freak out about it when it does. Or try to justify it to near total strangers at the driver's license office.

So sometimes, I think it's better to keep your weightloss efforts to yourself. Or at least be selective as to who you let into your inner weightloss circle.

8 comments:

Patsy said...

It's funny you should mention this... I've posted a lot on my blog about 'group mentality'. I believe that like-minded people tend to be drawn to one another, and that's why I'm distancing myself from the online weightloss 'support' groups (Yahoo, in particular) that seem to be an exercise in members justifying why they CAN'T lose weight and get fit(ter!)

This is why I love blogging - you can follow people who have a similar outlook to your own and disregard the rest!

The people whose blogs I'm loving at the moment are those who are saying "Yes, I am going to treat myself occasionally over the coming weeks, and I'm not going down the whole 'guilt trip' route. I'll stay on track 90% of the time"! We all know guilt is counter-productive anyway, and tends to lead to secret binges and comfort eating!

Have fun. :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's kinda weird. I'm a Weight Watcher but I don't feel the need to justify what I eat (normally--unless someone totally puts me on the spot...)Oh well, to each their own, I guess. People probably know better than to question what I'm eating because I'd give 'em some serious lip, too!
Bethany

Tricia said...

Wow, slightly umcomfortable there huh.I can say sometimes the fact that I have a "health" blog and people I'm with know it, helps me stay on track. But luckily I "preach" moderation, so I'm covered. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving.

WWSuzi said...

That's one of the reasons i do ww's at home on my own!

Shelley said...

How crazy that she felt like she had to justify her meal to you! I guess she really was uncomfortable with her choices?

Hope you have a good Thanksgiving, Deb!

Hotch Potchery said...

My sister and I are both on WW, but she is nearly at her goal weight and I am still nearly 100 away. Every bite I take, every mile I run (or don't run) I feel her eyes on me, and to be honest, I don't even think they are really there...but it bugs me just the same.

Linda said...

I used to join WW with just about my entire family (six sisters) and it was awful after each weigh in getting all those phone calls, especially when I gained! Food police everywhere.

Hanlie said...

I totally get that! I think that it's really important to have boundaries...