Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weigh in: 7 gained, 183.3 to go


I don't have much to say about this other than it helps me to make a decision about something that has been bouncing around in my head the past two weeks. I have to slow down my pace with school work. Period. I simply an unable to juggle a full-time-and-then-some demanding job, part-time grad school, health/weightloss, and any semblence of a life/fun.


I just can't do it all at the same time. I am not Superwoman. And so after I make it through this summer session, I am cutting back to only one class per semester for the remainder of my program. I still plan on finishing my MBA, it's just going to take longer. Probably 2 more years instead of just one. Not crazy about that but I am not crazy about the life I've been leading this past year either. And I am certainly not crazy about weighing 348 pounds.


The stress, the lack of time, and constant exhaustion cause me to overeat for comfort or for an energy boost. I have been unable to get my training walks in for about a week and half now because I am either too busy or flat out frickin' exhausted.


I will keep trying to do the best I can as I finish out the summer session (finished at the end of July). Then I'll have 3 weeks off of school before starting a lighter load in the fall. I am dearly looking forward to it. And I am looking forward to having something to blog about besides moaning and groaning about my crazy schedule.


I am burnt out. Uncle, already.

9 comments:

Diana said...

That's a great decision. I've figured out that getting healthy is a part-time job.

Between the working out, shopping for healthy foods, looking for and cooking healthy recipes, constantly thinking about what I'm eating and working out seriously for at least an hour a day, every day, is definitely equivalent to at least a part-time job.

My husband asked just this morning when is this going to be over so he doesn't have to help so much around the house (it's been 17 months of commitment). I told him never. Even when I make goal, this will still be a big focus of my life. Not what he wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

If you cut back a little on schooling like you plan, you can focus more on your weight loss and get a little fun squeezed in there too. Then when you get your MBA, you'll be in better health and ready for the world.

Good luck! I know you can do this!

Shelley said...

Sometimes, when I'm cutting up strawberries for my breakfast, or preparing veggies for grilling, I wonder if I could do this if I worked full-time. Just thinking of how often I have to go to the grocery store to keep the fresh foods wears me out!

I think you've done remarkably well, seeing how overloaded you are in your daily schedule. I'm glad that you will cut back your classes - you definitely need a bit of a break (although I still think you are one.busy.woman!). Hang in there...and good luck with getting through the next few weeks!

Hanlie said...

I really support that decision! Good for you girl!

Ria said...

FWIW I think you've made a great decision, Deb. My experience has been the same as the other commenters . . . getting healthy is equivalent to at least a part-time job, especially when you factor in the energy required for the mental part of the journey. To quote JM, your health is the foundation on which the rest of your life is built!

I'll be keeping the good thought for you to get through the next month . . . and I'm glad your current semester ends early enough for you to be able to look forward to enjoying some of the summer.

Unknown said...

Good for you! You have to make your health a priority. The degree will come in time.
I know it's hard to make that type of decision, but you are going to be sooo happy you did!

Katie J ♥ said...

I think you made a very hard but a good decision. You need to take care of YOU and it will still get done (MBA)and it is going to feel great. We know YOU can do this!

Lisa said...

i think you have made a very wise choice..it may take an extra year for your MBA but the health benefits of getting healthy in that year will add to your life!

good for you!

xo

Lolly said...

That sounds like a really good decision and will be perhaps the best of all worlds. Good luck to you! I love your blog although I don't think i have ever commented.
~Lolly

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

It seems like a good decision, but you're still carrying a lot on your shoulders. I'm so glad you saved the fun/social side. It will be important!