Yesterday I finished my first of 24 weeks of training in preparation for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. Yes, I will be walking 60 miles over the course of three days in November.
The training program I am following is provided by the 3 Day organization and consists of 4 days of walking per week (with increasing mileage each week), 2 days of some form of cross-training, and 1 rest day which I am taking on Mondays since my "long mileage" days will be on Saturdays and Sundays.
Week One Training Plan was:
four 3 mile walks (T/Th/Sat/Sun)
one 30 minute cross-training session on Friday
Week One Training Actual was:
four 3 miles walks (T/F/Sat/Sun)
no cross-training
Details:
Most of my walking was done on my new treadmill. Getting 3 miles in is VERY difficult for me as I continue to struggle with lower back pain and calf pain. It's all a function on my weight. Cardiovascularly I feel completely fine and even feel I could up my pace if only my back and calves would cooperate. I was averaging a 2mph pace and a heart rate in the high 120's to low 130's. I spent lots of time leaning on the handrails in order to take pressure off my back. I am working on making a concerted effort to increase my non-leaning time because I doubt there will be 60 miles of handrails on this walk!
I cannot emphasize enough how completely unpleasant this exercise is for me right now. It is an act of sheer will that I able to do it. Tuesday was my best day because I was so happy I actually did a full 3 miles. Sunday was my worst day. I was unable to get my Thursday walk in and so had to do it on Friday instead. That put me at three 3 mile walks in a row. By Sunday my body was in full mutiny.
I woke up with pain in my calves but was determined to get my 3 miles in no matter what. I had been feeling bad for Buster not getting his walks as I did mine on the treadmill so I decided to do my first mile outdoors with him. I barely made it half a mile outside and that included lots of stops to lean on a fence or mailbox to relieve pressure from my back. It was really REALLY bad. I almost sat down on a curb and gave up. I wanted to cry. But I made it back home and could not imagine how I was going to finish the 2.5 miles I had left. So I decided to do it in 15 minute increments instead of all at once. I spent the rest of the day working on schoolwork for a while, hopping on the treadmill for 15 minutes, fold some laundry, 15 on the treadmill, and on and on until I had finished a full 3 miles. It was an absolute horrific day and I was completely beat by the end of it.
I took a hot bath to try to sooth my aching body (and my beaten spirit). I have never been more aware of the gravitational pull of the earth than I was Sunday evening. With every movement I could feel all those extra pounds weighing me down, pushing me into the earth, crushing me, making everything I do so much harder than it should be. It made me really sad. And scared.
Week One whipped me physically and emotionally and left me really questioning if I am going to be able to do this training, let alone do the actual walk. The mileage starts upping very quickly and I am scared my body won't adapt quickly enough to be able to handle it. But I am trying to just focus on one week, even one walk at a time and see what happens.
I don't mean for this Rest and Report to be a downer. I just want it to be honest. I am hopeful I can look back on it in Week 24 and really see just how far I have come.
Coming Up for Week Two:
T - 3 miles
Th - 3 miles
F - 30 minutes cross (Curves)
Sat - 4 miles (may have to split this into two 2 mile walks...we'll see)
Sun - 3 miles
I'd also like to start incorporating some lower back strengthening exercise on my cross-training days since that pain is really holding me back. I know Supermans are good for the lower back. I am open for suggestions of other exercises I can do at home to strengthen my back.
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
10 months ago


8 comments:
I am sorry your exercise is getting you down...in addition to doing some strengthening exercises, I would recommend stretching completely after your walks, and eating bananas for the potassium (to help with cramping).
Don't give up!!
Oh, I just lost the long comment I wrote you! Here goes again...
What helped me with regards to back pain when walking and standing was Pilates, which results in neuro-muscular reprogramming. We all favor certain muscles instead of others. The pathways from our brains to the muscles that we don't often use become inactive, so we need to reactivate them by using these muscles repeatedly.
Back pain is very often a case of using only the back muscles and the spine to support the body. This is never ideal, especially when we're overweight. The core abdominal muscles should be doing the bulk of the work. Pilates will help you reactivate and learn how to use those muscles. It will change your body and your life!
I have to give you kudos, Deb, for persevering through the pain. It will get easier as you build your muscles up and the weight comes off. I agree with Hotch - stretching and potassium, and I'll add Motrin and lots and lots of water.
Hang in there - what you are doing is amazing!
{{Deb}} I am so proud of you for hanging in there and completing your week one training despite the difficulty! That's the same commitment you show in your professional and school life, and I know it'll serve you equally well in the fitness arena.
I'm no expert, but for whatever they may be worth, here are a few thoughts/ideas . . .
Do you have a pair of really good, professionally fitted walking shoes that adjust for your pronation tendencies, etc?
I'll second Hotch on the merits of stretching after exercising, and I think it's especially important when you're challenging your body to do new things. I've been slacking off on this lately without any problems, but I need to get back to doing it now that I'm adding some higher intensity exercise - I'm pretty stiff this morning :(
I've heard on the Jillian Michaels podcasts that treadmill walking at a zero incline can be hard on your joints - she recommends using a very slight incline at all times. Since the cardio aspect is not difficult for you, it might be worth experimenting with 0.5 or 1.0 incline to see if it is more comfortable for your back and calves.
Is the pain/soreness worse at the faster paces? When I first started walking, I'd get pain/soreness on the outside of my calves - it would start about 10 minutes into my walk and subside about 30 minutes into my walk. Doing a *long* warmup at a slower pace really helped.
I use a hyperextension/roman chair at the gym for lower back exercises, but I think supermans accomplish the same thing. It might help to take extra-good care of your lower back at other times during the day - make sure your work chair provides the support you need, maybe try an upper or lower body wedge pillow for sleeping.
It might be worth scheduling a couple of sessions with a physical therapist - s/he could probably design a custom stretching/strengthening routine for you given your 3-Day training goals & the specific difficulties you're having.
I hope the hot bath and the rest day did your body and spirit good, and that today's walk will be enough easier to restore your confidence that you can do this. You're fighting not just to be able to do the 3-Day, but for the quality of life you deserve - I'm rooting for you 100%!
Hey, been reading consistently for a while, but not sure if I've ever commented. For starters: WOW! You go girl. I am extremely impressed with your perserverence. Secondly, I am going to echo the pilates comment. It will strengthen the muscles that wrap all around your center and hold you up. Also you get to do it layingdown on the floor which is nice when you're feeling that gravitational pull :) Make sure to do the movements really small at first so you feel it in your core, not yourspine. Good luck and well done!
Kudos for working it out through the discomfort. Hang in there, you will overcome! Taking a short blogging break, but will be looking in on you!
I've got to hand it to you - you are so determined and dedicated to this mission. It'll get easier after this week I bet.
I used to have back spasms and found that working on strengthening my abs helped a lot. I hope your back and legs start cooperating soon.
Girl, I feel your pain! I have a lot of trouble doing the elliptical cross trainer at the gym because of the back and calf pain. Add to that, my stupid feet start to cramp up!
I did notice that when I did a water aerobics class that I was able to stretch out some of those spots with minimal discomfort. I think I need to be warming up with stretching as well.
I think your solution of doing 15 minutes and stopping, doing something else, then getting back on the treadmill for another 15 minutes is a good plan. Hang in there honey - you're off to a good start!
Post a Comment