Sunday, February 8, 2009

You Can Do More Than You Think You Can

Note: I had a shitty-assed work week and a resulting a shitty-assed eating week. So I am not posting a weigh in today. I choose to post about something positive instead.


I recently agreed to do the 3-Day Breast Cancer walk in November with a friend of mine. This friend weighs about 110 pounds so really had no idea what it was she was asking me to accomplish in 10 months so she probably did not understand my hestitation. My hestitation had nothing to do with the wonderful cause of finding a cure for breast cancer. I have walked in many Race for the Cure 5K's and have loved doing every single one of them. There is nothing more moving than walking with a crowd of people, some of whom are wearing "I walk in celebration of..." banners (for those who have won their battle) and some of whom are wearing "I walk in memory of..." (for those who did not). So I knew that participating in the 3-Day event would be an even more wonderful experience.


But...


I am fat. And not just a little fat, alot fat. So I worried. Would I be able to do it? Would they look at me funny when I showed up at the first informational meeting because I so clearly do not belong in a 60 mile walk? And I considered telling her no. But then I decided I have to try. I would never know if I could if I didn't try. (Plus, walking in the 3-Day on my 160 Things list.) So I studied the 24-week training program they gave us and knew I wasn't even CLOSE to fit enough to start this training. But that is OK because I have 14 weeks before I needed to start this training. So I am calling the next 14 weeks my "Pre-training Training".

During my Pre-training Training my goal is to work up to the point that I can walk for an hour at a 3.0 - 3.5 mph pace. Once I am there I will feel comfortable that I can handle the official 24 week training. Yesterday was my first Pre-training Training walk and I headed out with my dog, my heart rate monitor, and my pedometer for my first attempt at walking for an hour. And to be honest, I didn't think I would be able to walk for an hour. But I did! Yes, I had some back pain. And yes, I was glad on the several occasions my poochie wanted to "stop and smell the roses." But in the end I walked for an hour and lived to tell about it. My pace was no where close to where it needs to be (1.8mph....doggie pit stops did slow me down some, but still, I am clearly no Flo-Jo at this point) but I was thrilled to find out that I COULD walk for an hour. And now all I have to do is keep doing it and tracking my pace. I know I will be able to build up to 3.0 - 3.5 in time for the real training, especially as more weight starts coming off me.

So as I was heading into the final 10 minutes of my walk and it was clear I was going to do it, I thought, "You can do more than you think you can." And I remembered the Biggest Loser episode from a few weeks ago where orange team contestant Daniel, who started out weighing 450 pounds, was doing his "last chance workout" where Jillian pushes people to the max. He was running on the treadmill and Jillian turned it up. His response wasn't "No, I can't." He said to her, "Give me more." And I thought, "Man, if this guy weighs 450 and is running on the treadmill wanting more, surely I can do more too." And yesterday I proved that to be true.

It was just Pre-training Training Day 1 and I have many miles to log before the final 60 mile event. But I can do more than I think I can. So give me more!!!!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great job on your hour walk! I know you can do this... you sound very determined! WOO HOO!

Anonymous said...

Yay Deb!!! That is terrific! I am so impressed that you got out there and just DID it! You are so gonna whoop this thing...;) Keep it up--I know you absolutely can do it. So proud of you...
Bethany

Ria said...

It is so great that you're doing the 3-Day Walk - both raising money for a good cause and giving yourself a concrete incentive & timetable to reach some personal goals. Your enthusiasm is contagious - you've got me thinking that I would love to do this too! NYC doesn't seem to be a 3-Day location, but I'm thinking about trying to get some friends in San Francisco to commit to it.

Congratulations on a great start to your pre-training training! I'm looking forward to following your progress, and I know you'll be amazed at how fast your speed/distance and comfort level will build up. When I started, I also had some hip and back pain, and it took a lot of effort for me to go 3 flat miles at a time. Although I didn't measure the pace, it was probably around 2-2.5 mph, without a dog stopping to smell the roses! It took about 6 weeks of walking 5x a week for me to be able to do 5 miles w/some hills at a pace of around 3.0, so if my experience is any guide you'll be very ready for the official training in 14 weeks.

Hotch Potchery said...

That is really great work! I walked a 10K yesterday, and am fat as well. I was almost last, but you know what? I DID IT. You will too.

PS My word verification is scaleag. I read it as scale hag and thought blogger was telling me to stop weighing myself every day!

~closed~ said...

Oh, I know YOU can. I so admire your commitment to do this walk. Good for you for doing it!!

Tanya said...

That's an awesome start. It's great that you're thinking so far ahead and not letting the training start date creep up on you and then realizing that it's more than you're capable of right now. Sounds like you're going to be more than ready when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

One step at a time, good luck with the challenge

SL said...

It's wonderful that you've signed up for this worthwhile event and have begun your training (pre or otherwise). :) I know what you mean about the dog's pit stops. Sometimes I'm VERY grateful for red lights when I'm out walking. Ria is so right. It does get easier, faster, etc. with every step.

Hanlie said...

I'm in pre-training too! We can both do this! Good luck! I literally astound myself every day and you will too...

Natalia said...

Deb, there is NO doubt in my mind that you can do this! You will make it through this and you will do amazing things and you will succeed! I'm so happy that you decided to take this challenge. I can't wait read about your training. By the way you are beautiful, love your profile pic!
Natalia :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I am a fellow BLBEer and 3Dayer. I will walk in DC and then crew in Philadelphia this year. This will be 8th and 9th events and it is without a doubt the most awe inspiring thing I have ever done.
You will be blown away by all the amazing people that you meet and truthfully this is one event were size does not matter. You need to train and train well and that is what really matters.
If you want some tips, just let me know. I have realized that there are a couple of us who are doing both BLBE and the 3Day
Good luck wiht your training