Monday, February 2, 2009

2009 SMART Goals: First Monthly Update

When I made my SMART goals for 2009, I committed to giving monthly updates as to my progress. So here goes:

1. To weigh less than 300 pounds by 1/1/2010.
I weighed 337.7 on 1/1/09 and yesterday I weighed 335.1. At least the scale moved in the right direction but I am definitely going to need to pick up the pace if I want to make my 2009 goal. In order to do this I need to stick better to my original plan of four 30 minute workouts per week and sticking to my food plan on most days. I let my work obligations overshadow what I needed to do for myself and my health so I will make a more concerted effort to turn that around in February. Specifically I need to commit to getting my lunch and snacks ready the night before so I have the food I need at work. Also, I need to make sure I am getting the rest I need to be able to get up at 5:30 to get my workout in. This means I need to go to bed on time!!! I am in the very bad habit of staying up too late watching crap I have TIVO'd. I do it to wind down especially when I don't get home from work til 9 - 9:30. I need to find a new way to wind down that gets me in bed by 10:30 at the latest. Suggestions anyone?

2. To have my entire house decluttered and organized by 1/1/2010.
My goal has been to spend 1 hour per week working on this task. While I did not meet this goal every week of this month, I did meet it in the first week and as a result my master bedroom closet is decluttered and I was able to donate several bags of clothing to Goodwill. I need to up my focus on this goal as I feel that my disorganization at home affects my ability to live a healthy lifestyle. For example, I have a very small kitchen and when my limited counter space is cluttered with paperwork, magazines, and unopened mail, I have a tendency to not want to prepare my meals because it seems too much trouble to first have to declutter the space and THEN use it to cook. When I get the space decluttered I will easily be able to use it for its intended purpose.

3. To complete at least 12 more hours towards my MBA by 1/1/2010.
I am currently taking 6 hours so I will be halfway to my goal by the end of the spring semester. This is the only goal that I am completely on track with.


OK, so big picture I have made at least SOME progress towards all of my goals but not as much as I would have liked. But goals 1 and 2 I really need to up my committment. Yes, it has been difficult with my work hours these first few weeks of the year. But I can't let that be an excuse. Things should be a little better during February and I intend to make better progress than I did in January.

7 comments:

we_be_toys said...

some very good goals you've set, all within reasonable reach.
I've set two goals; one of dropping 20 pounds this year, and the other, to exercise more - trying to keep MY house uncluttered, with three men and 8 cats? Impossible!

Donnalouise said...

I like your goals! I have problems going to bed at a reasonable time - which means I sleep in and don't get in my mornign workout. It's been that way since the holidays. Terrible! So if you find the solution to getting to bed at a reasonable time, I'd love to know.

new*me said...

you are doing it.....your pace!

Leigh Anne said...

Don't forget....you don't have to that hour all at once. An hour a week is only 15 min a day for 4 days.

Rebecca said...

Awesome goals! For the sleep one, I would recommend setting a timer. I know it sounds silly, but I'm also prone to staying up too late (Tivo is my friend, but also my enemy! lol) and not getting my workouts in. But when I hear the timer go off, its like an alarm that its bedtime!

Natalia said...

Good job on checking in with your goals. It's easy to let them fall by the wayside if you don't pay attention. How do I know you ask? Uh, ahem well.....

Ria said...

Congrats on moving in the right direction. Your weightloss goal for 2009 is totally realistic, even with some less-than-perfect periods when life interferes. Based on my experience last year, I'd say as long as you maintain or better during any "off" periods, you're a shoo-in to make it!

I hear you on the decluttering. It is a 2009 goal of mine also, and I've made very little progress thus far. OK, you've inspired me - I hereby declare today shoe and book day, and I'm gonna fill at least one bag with shoes and another with paperbacks to donate.

I can relate to the kitchen issue - mine is too actually too small to accumulate other clutter, but I don't have a dishwasher, and it really deters me from cooking when I have to do a sinkful of dishes first.

Great work on your MBA. I am totally impressed with the way you juggle an intense full-time job and that much coursework.