At the beginning of this year I set out some SMART goals for myself after being inspired by a post by MizFit. So how did I do?
1. To weigh less than 300 pounds by 1/1/2010. I weighed 337.7 on 1/1/09 and my latest weighin was 347. Gained almost 10 pounds over the course of the year. Not the result I wanted. But, then, I didn't really follow through with ANY of the specifics I set out for myself as to how I would attain this goal. Those being that a) I would not stray from my eating plan more than 3 days a month, b) I would exercise 30 minutes 4x per week, and c) I would rewards stickers on my calendar to monitor my progress with a) and b). What I did instead was make little effort to stick to my food plan consistently and continued to give in to my compulsions to binge. I did have a period of time where I was consistently going to Curves but that dwindled. And then there was the few weeks I was taking my Breast Cancer 3 Day training very seriously and was walking alot (alot for me, anyway). But as was the case throughout the year I allowed other things to take priority over my goals and my health. And then there was the reward stickers. Well, there was nary a sticker anywhere in my 2009 calendar so I pretty much blew this one off. End result? SMART goal #1 = epic fail.
2. To have my entire house decluttered and organized by 1/1/2010. I did pretty well at this getting rid of lots and lots of things I didn't need and wasn't using. Then I moved to a new house at the end of September and I still haven't completely unpacked. So while I made quite a bit of progress, the house I ended the year in is not completely decluttered and organized. I don't consider this a complete failure of my goal. Rather, life threw me something different than I had expected when the year started out.
3. To complete at least 12 more hours towards my MBA by 1/1/2010. This one I completed and completed early. This also kind of sums up in my eyes where my priorities were astray during 2009, thus leading to the epic fail of my weightloss goals. In 2009 work and school WERE my life. All else went to the wayside.
So how do I feel about SMART goals at the end of 2009 as compared to the beginning of 2009? Well, I am disappointed in myself for not following through on the one goal that was most important to me - weight loss. But SMART goals are, well, smart. The trick is to really and truly make what is important to you the priority in your life. That I didn't do in 2009. My work, school, and a bout with depression, overshadowed all else for me. I can see that for 2010 identifying what is most important to me and making it my top priority for my life will be paramount to my attaining the 2010 SMART goals I am currently mulling over in my head.
Dumping Amazon and living a more deliberate life
9 months ago


9 comments:
Hey Deb, You are not alone! My husband and I have been making very small changes for the last two weeks, it's a start in the right direction. For me starting is not the problem as much as keeping the momentum going!
Your profile says it all ... that you're not living the life you deserve. 2010 will be your year to see progress, get healthier and live your dreams. Keep reading blogs for inspiration and keep posting. I truly think it helps to keep the momentum going.
Yup, you need to make yourself a priority! Good luck with reaching the first goal in 2010.
No such thing as failure unless you totally give up, which i know you won't do :)
Here's to a great year to come!!
You're still here, and THAT is truly a good thing. You know now that there was a disconnect between what was most important to you and where you put your focus. (Who among us hasn't done that?) That's going to be such an enormous help to you this year! Time to reset and recharge!
The great thing is that each day is a new chance to start over again, even each meal - really. There's no true blowing it, any step in the right direction is good. You don't have to wait for a new year or a new month or anything. Small changes are good too!
My husband has been working on his Masters and that is just so all-encompassing - it's amazing that you did anything else at all! Now is the time for you - I still remember when you posted about putting your treadmill where your favorite comfy chair was so you'd have to exercise while you watched tv. That really struck a chord with me. I moved my stability ball out of my closet so I could do crunches during my tv watching, but eventually it went back to the closet. I'm digging it out again tonight!
Hey,
I know what you need...
you need to erase that list to the right...
you know...
the 'magic' numbers.
replace them with real ones.
Then let yourself lose as fast or slow as you lose.
It's for life.
It will take time.
It should be your number one priority.
Because if you don't take care of yourself..all the other things on that list will be sitting there one day, and you won't be there to do them.
You matter.
Love how you reviewed your goals. Hang in there, 2009 was rough for a lot of people, me included!!! 2010 has gotta show some potential!
Post a Comment